Nine suspected asylum seekers found dead off Christmas Island

• 24 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Re: Locals joined riot police stopping riot in Manus Island detention centre
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 06:44:24 PM »
The irony is, while others are risking their lives and traveling the ocean in search of greener pastures, ang mga tao sa ato .....
Thanks to the generosity of the o/s Pinoy. :)

Mga wakwak ni sila. Buntagay permi. And how many nag-ingon ani while researching on Australian job opportunities, preparing resumes&job applications or lodging them? ??? :-\ ;D ;)
murag wa gyud koy nakitan nga ga research aning mga gamers about jobs.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Any comment from your end, skipper? ??? :) ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:03:43 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Refugee activists march in Sydney
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 05:58:08 PM »
Channel 7 February 28, 2014, 11:00 pm

Refugee activists have clashed with police in a peak-hour march through inner Sydney.

Riot police were called in as hundreds rallied along George Street on Friday evening chanting "Free, free the refugees".
At times the throngs spilled onto city roads, disrupting traffic and prompting physical confrontations with police.

The demonstration comes after the death of 23-year-old Reza Berati during violent clashes at Australia's Manus Island immigration detention centre.

Refugee Action Coalition spokesman Ian Rintoul told the rally the Iranian's death would not be forgotten.
"They want to push it aside," he said. "They want it to be covered up in the lies and the cover-ups which are now under way on Manus Island.

"We are not going to allow that to happen."

The protesters have called for the Papua New Guinea facility to be shut down and Immigration Minister Scott Morrison to step down.

"Scott Morrison, blood on your hands," they cried as the march approached the Immigration Department's Sydney headquarters.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

wardiflex

• OMG Fanaticz
    • View Profile
Re: Nine suspected asylum seekers found dead off Christmas Island
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 06:40:09 PM »
omG!
kinsa tong mag pa pintal sa ilang balay etc., just inform me, naa koy kaila nga d best.09487352092

j

juan

• View Profile
Australia will 'live to regret' asylum seeker treatment
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »
SBS 19 MAR 2014 - 11:17AM

President of the Refugee Council of Australia Phil Glendenning said the country needed to change its attitude towards refugees and migrants.

His comments came ahead of a discussion on multiculturalism, to be held at the State Library of NSW on Wednesday evening.
“It’s a timely discussion given that certainly from my position, a lot of the things that are happening in this country at the moment are things that we’re going to live to regret,” Mr Glendenning said.

“… Those who come to this country to seek asylum at the moment are being punished rather than protected. That’s regrettable and it does raise the issue as to why such concerns are raised about people who come by boat and not people who come by plane.
News.com.au by CANDACE SUTTON July 08, 2013 9:33AM

DO you believe that thousands of illegal boat people are swamping our shores in unprecedented numbers and threatening Australian jobs and the economy?
Myth 5: Most asylum seekers come by boat
REALITY:Statistics from 2008 showed at least 13 asylum seekers arrive through Australian airports daily, more than 32 times the number of boat people supposedly ''flooding'' across our maritime borders in that year. A total of 4768 ''plane people'', more than 96 per cent of applicants for refugee status, arrived in that year on legitimate tourist, business and other visas - compared with 161 who arrived by boat during the same period. While boat numbers have increased, Australian Government statistics from the first quarter of 2013 showed more than 90 per cent of asylum seekers who arrived by boat were found to be genuine refugees. In comparison, those who arrived by plane - despite being eligible for release into the community and not having to face years of detention on Nauru or Manus Island - were almost twice as likely to be rejected as refugees. The figure continued a long-term trend of high approval rates for people arriving by boat, with 93.5 per cent being found to be refugees in 2010-11 and 91 per cent in 2011-12.

He said the Federal Government needs to implement proactive policies to stop asylum seekers taking desperate measures to gain protection.

“There needs to be a return to the days when compassion wasn’t seen as a form of weakness,” he said.

“There needs to be policies put in place that enable people to be protected. None of us want to see anybody dying in a boat.

Yet both political parties are in a position where they don’t do anything until people have actually gotten into a boat.”
His comments follow the recent death of Manus Island detainee Reza Berati, an Iranian asylum seeker who was killed during violent scenes at the Australian-run detention centre in February.

Human rights advocate Julian Burnside AO QC will join Mr Glendenning on the panel, alongside actor Jack Thompson and photographer Louise Whelan.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:47:54 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:04:13 PM by juan »