Chieffy Caligdong retires from Azkals

• 2 replies

tricia_nikki

• Global Moderator
  • Don't judge a book by its cover.
    • View Profile
Chieffy Caligdong retires from Azkals
« on: November 14, 2014, 03:24:58 AM »
Azkals star Emilio “Chieffy” Caligdong officially retires from international football duties.

The 32-year-old Caligdong posted on his Facebook account his official statement on the matter stating that even though he already announced his retirement from the Azkals, his “heart, prayers and support are always with the team.”

Caligdong, a native of Iloilo and one of the long-time members of the Azkals, has been with that team since 2004.

He has scored goals for the country on countless occasions including a crucial goal in the 1-0 win of the Azkals against Vietnam in the 2012 edition of the Suzuki Cup. He also brought home the Golden Boot award in the 2011 Long Teng Cup.

Caligdong told Rappler that his fitness and the growing number of great young talents in the national pool played a big role in his decision to hand his boots.

“Reason kung bakit nag retire ako, kasi una, my fitness is not that good anymore. Alam naman natin na maraming capable doon sa pwesto ko and I want to give chance to others na makapaglaro sila at maipakita kung ano ang laro nila especially doon sa mga youngsters.”

“It's my decision siguro na to hindi na mag-pretend na kaya ko pa kahit hindi na. parang pangit naman ata ‘yun. Kaya I just give my position to any player na suitable sa position na yun.”
Friendship is the art of reaching out and touching someone else's heart.

tricia_nikki

• Global Moderator
  • Don't judge a book by its cover.
    • View Profile
Re: Chieffy Caligdong retires from Azkals
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 03:26:33 AM »

Lastly, Caligdong revealed that he will be focusing more on his club and added that he is eager to take on coaching as a new challenge in his football career.

“Kakakuha ko lang ng C license course ko. I want to continue to inspire the kids, especially sa grassroots level. Kasi yung next plan ko is coaching so new challenge para sakin ‘yun at new mission para sakin to share my knowledge and ideas sa mga bagong generation. Also, focus ko lang ngayon is sa club ko and sa coaching ko sa Zobel and sa Green Archers Youth.”

Rumors about Caligdong's retirement from international football duties flooded social media on Wednesday evening, November 12.

This was fueled by a tweet of Melmac Sports Management - an organization that manages Filipino athletes of different sports including Caligdong - on November 2, that the former Azkals co-captain will make a big announcement this month.

Many speculated what the announcement would be. A post from Patrick Ace Bright, a member of the Azkals team management shed light on the issue.

“Big salute to @chieffy_13 on his retirement from international football. Thank you for inspiring so many people and for teaching us how one can be very successful but can still show so much humility. Thank you for making the country proud so many times. Truly one of the best filipino footballers of all time,” the post said.

Fans, teammates, and the Philippine football community were saddened by the announcement but wished Caligdong well and reminisced his contributions to the Azkals.
Friendship is the art of reaching out and touching someone else's heart.

erika

• View Profile
Re: Chieffy Caligdong retires from Azkals
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 04:02:06 AM »
isa talaga siya sa pinakamahusay na football player sa Azkals
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:02:52 AM by erika »
OMG fashion lover