Noche Buena

• 9 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Noche Buena
« on: December 21, 2012, 03:19:47 PM »
This article is about a traditional custom in Spain, Latin America, and the Philippines. For the flower called "Noche Buena", see Poinsettia.

Nochebuena and Navidad are Spanish words referring to the night of Christmas Eve. In Spain, Puerto Rico, Latin America, and the Philippines, the evening consists of a traditional dinner with family.

The Cuban and Puertorican tradition is a family dinner centered around a pig roast, or lechón. The pig is often cooked in a "Caja China," a large box where an entire pig is placed above hot coals[citation needed]. The dinner features many side dishes and desserts, and often games of dominos are played. The tradition is continued by Cuban and Puertorican families in the US.

In Spain, after a Christmas Mass, Nochebuena tradition includes a dinner with family and friends. It is particularly common to start the meal with a seafood dish followed by a bowl of hot, homemade soup. It is also common to have desserts such as turrón.

In some countries of Latin America Nochebuena is also celebrated on Christmas Eve and marks the final evening of the Posadas celebrations, in others a dinner is served with the family usually after attended the late Mass known as "Misa del Gallo".

In New Mexico, la Nochebuena is celebrated by lighting luminarias and farolitos.

In the Philippines, this usually comes at midnight after the family has attended the late evening Christmas Eve Mass or Misa de Gallo. Some of the more conventional dishes served for the main course are any of the following: lechon, pancit, sweet-style (Filipino style) spaghetti, fruit salad, fried chicken, ham, queso de bola, arróz caldo, lumpia, rice, and adobo. Desserts include úbe halaya, bibingka, membrilyo, different rice and flour-based cakes, ice cream, pastries and fruits, while drinks include tsokolate, coffee, soft drinks, wine, beer, and different kinds of fruit juices.
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Noche Buena
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 12:46:38 AM »
Best wishes for the festive season and a prosperous new year!
Enjoy your Noche Buena. RG must be very busy preparing the banquet. No wonder he's out of touch. Hehe  :) ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:48:59 PM »
Noche Buena is celebrated Dec 24th evening. Visited first love and spent a few hours before going home. Yes, I was welcomed by her family. But couldn't take her to my place. Our love was verboten.

Now, all I have are memories. :)

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »
simbang gabi muna

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »
Panaygon (what's this in Tagalog? ???) sad! :) ;)

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:50:36 PM »
namamasko po

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 11:05:12 PM »
Enjoy your Noche Buena. RG must be very busy preparing the banquet. No wonder he's out of touch. Hehe  :) ;)

Just a reminder ...
December 24th in the evening.  :) ;)

erika

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 11:39:37 PM »
i love Noche Buena
OMG fashion lover

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 02:33:34 AM »
sa December 27 sana may queso de bola

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 01:45:27 AM »

Everything ready for tomorrow night, chef? ;)