Lucban, Quezon

• 2 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Lucban, Quezon
« on: June 15, 2011, 10:10:27 PM »
The Municipality of Lucban (Filipino: Bayan ng Lucban) is a 2nd class municipality in the province of Quezon, Philippines. According to the 2007 census, it has a population of 45,616 people[1]. It rests at the foot of the prestigious Mt. Banahaw.

Lucban is famous around the world for the annual Pahiyas Festival which is held every May 15 in honor of the patron saint of harvest, Isidore the Laborer the Farmer.

History
Legend has it that the town derived its name from Lucban or Pomelo fruit tree. Three hunters from Majayjay, Laguna named Marcos Tigla, Luis Gumba and Lucas Manawa lost their way at the foot of Mount Banahaw following the trail of some wild animals. Resting under a tree, they saw a black crow or "uwak" up on a tree, and believing this to be a bad omen, they moved to another location and rested once more. While resting under a large shady pomelo or lucban tree, the trio were attracted to a couple of kingfishers (salaksak) singing. Fascinated by the beautiful color and lovely rhythmic chirps of the birds, the superstitious hunters took the incident as a sign of good fortune and decided to settle in the place and named it "Lucban." The people of Lucban accepted the story as true. Today Lucban is a thriving community surrounded by its pristine environment and retaining its historic beauty.

Pahiyas Festival
Lucban celebrates the Pahiyas Festival every May 15 in honor of the patron saint of farmers, St. Isidore. This festival showcases a street of houses which are adorned with fruits, vegetables, agricultural products, handicrafts and kiping, a rice-made decoration, which afterwards can be eaten grilled or fried. The houses are judged and the best one is proclaimed the winner. Every year, tourists roam the municipality to witness the decoration of houses.

Is pomelo, buongon in Bisaya?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:11:52 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Lucban, Quezon
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:13:50 PM »
Once had a gf from that place. Like going to Marinduque, took a bus at Pasay City terminal bound for Lucena City [LC]. From LC took a jeepney to Lucban.
Many houses there were built during the Spanish era. Made of white cement(?) and very sturdee. Otherwise, wouldn't survive long. Similar to the Mexican abode. Some have roof gardens (hehehe). Ie, weeds, wildflowers, whatever (even bonsai-like small trees) have taken roots on the roof. Like Baguio, quite cool there. Must have high elevation. Yes, a pristine environment and retaining its historic beauty. Water supply came from the mountain and continuously flowed. No need to pump.
Like in Marinduque, was a guest at gf's house. Slept on bed in the guest room. In the middle of the night, a torrential downpour. Water was dripping down my bed. Hehehe. Woke up and look for my gf. Found her sleeping on the floor in another room with her younger siblings. Allowed me to sleep with them next to her. Wouldn't dare go beyond wrapping my arm around her waist. No. Not in her place.
Was a student nurse. Partially supported her schooling. Later, went to USA. Similar story. This one, married a puti. Hehehe. Ay, nako! malas tlg ako sa babae. :) ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Lucban, Quezon
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »
“If you love somebody, let them go. If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were.”
- Anonymous
 :) ;)
‘tis summer here. Brings back memories of summer loves. :)

Pat Boone- Love Letters in the Sand (lyrics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcENbgyn_ic

Remember You're Mine - Pat Boone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srxi5xgdKrk 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:33:44 PM by juan »