Gay marriage allowed in California

• 2 replies
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:36:07 PM »

SAN FRANCISCO - California’s Supreme Court quashed a ban on gay marriage in a historic ruling here Thursday, effectively leaving same-sex couples in America’s most populous state free to tie the knot.

In an opinion that analysts say could have nationwide implications for the issue, the seven-member panel voted 4-3 in favor of plaintiffs who argued that restricting marriage to men and women was discriminatory.

“Limiting the designation of marriage to a union ‘between a man and a woman’ is unconstitutional and must be stricken from the statute,” California Chief Justice Ron George said in the written opinion.

The ruling added that all California couples had a “basic civil right” to marry “without regard to their sexual orientation.”

Before Thursday only one US state — Massachusetts — allowed gay marriage, although California, New Jersey and Vermont have legislation which grants same-sex partners many of the same legal rights as married couples.

Plaintiffs and gay rights activists erupted with joy after the victory.

“It’s the best day of my life, quite honestly I’m thrilled for all of us,” Diane Olson said. AFP

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Gay marriage allowed in California
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:02:38 PM »
that's news for me

Re: Gay marriage allowed in California
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 04:59:54 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D