BALBACUA

• 210 replies

thorn prince

• i am the one who dwells within
    • View Profile
BALBACUA
« on: June 08, 2008, 10:08:32 PM »
Balbacua brings back childhood memories. My grandmother used to sell balbacua in the afternoons and the house was suffused with the smell of simmering balbacua. Her small stall was packed with her loyal customers.

Perhaps because I had balbacua most afternoons, I never thought of the dish as something special. It was such an everyday thing, and I remember the peppery beef broth as though it were only yesterday, unlike her karekare which came only on Christmas. My grandmother soon closed her little carinderia and the balbacua episode was forgotten. This was over two decades ago.

Balbacua is said to be a Southern Philippines recipe. It originated from Cebu. There are also very good balbacuahans in Davao City. Recently, I tasted delicious balbacua at the Oarhouse in Mabini St, Malate Manila. The balbacua at the Oarhouse was not the balbacua I remembered from childhood. I hate to say this, but it was better than my lola's version (and I think the world of my lola's recipes). There were certain ingredients that werent present in my childhood balbacua - such as the beans (definitely canned in the Oarhouse version), the peanut butter , and the banana.
How do you cook balbacua? I haven't tried cooking balbacua yet but from what I observed from my lola, this is how it is cooked. Again, this is all theory, I will report again when Ive tried this. Hahaha.

...specialty of the Sandugo Airsoft Warriors........

Balbacua

Ingredients
1 kg Oxtail (sliced)
Beef Skin
1 Can Pork and Beans
4 pieces saba (cooking bananas)
spring onion (minced)
black pepper
ginger (chopped)
peanut butter
water

Procedure
1) Assemble the oxtail, beef skin, chopped ginger in stockpot. Pour around 5 cups of water. Add blackpepper. Bring to boil.
2) When the oxtail and beef skin are tender, add the saba, peanut butter, and the pork and beans. Let simmer.
3) Season to taste.
4) Garnish with minced spring onion before serving.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:07:50 PM by The BoholBizz »

sweets

• Global Moderator
  • "pepsi lover"
    • View Profile
    • www.boholster.com
Re: BALBACUA
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 10:35:29 PM »
it's so easy to cook this, wanna try and eat here at my Carenderia? it's just close to the airport,before your flight schedule drop by and dine here.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:49:19 AM by The BoholBizz »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 05:25:02 AM »
so yummy sweets,good job thorn

Hershey

• The best thing about me is "YOU".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 05:36:10 AM »
lami gyud ang balbacua ni sweet.. heehe ;D
IMG]http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/MrsBoop_4_life/my%20pictures/love.jpg[/IMG]

sandra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 05:46:08 AM »
i heard so much about this food, i want to go there,ask the owner what is her secret recipe.

c

coolbreeze

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:16:05 AM »
wow. morag lami gyud. :)

v

val ong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 06:39:03 AM »
pakjawon na naho imong balbacua sweets. mo bisita ko sa imong restaurant next year. pa hangjo-a lang ko kay pakjaw man. hihihi. how much is your balbacua. kanang luto nimo good for 1 day. please let me know para ma budget naho. kay ga lisod ko karon. kinhangang mag daginot... ;D ;D ;D

Hershey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 06:40:54 AM »
pakjawon na naho imong balbacua sweets. mo bisita ko sa imong restaurant next year. pa hangjo-a lang ko kay pakjaw man. hihihi. how much is your balbacua. kanang luto nimo good for 1 day. please let me know para ma budget naho. kay ga lisod ko karon. kinhangang mag daginot... ;D ;D ;D

wow.. grabe ha pakjaw man jud...
IMG]http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/MrsBoop_4_life/my%20pictures/love.jpg[/IMG]

v

val ong

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 06:42:15 AM »
uban ta hershey. bring your friends. i like balabacua

Hershey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 06:44:21 AM »
uban ta hershey. bring your friends. i like balabacua

pwede ug usang batalyong frends.. hehe joke..