• 2 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Venus eyes ultimate prize of more Olympic gold
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:13:56 AM »
By Sonia Oxley

LONDON, July 6 (Reuters) - Venus Williams would never swap one of her five beloved Wimbledon singles titles for a different grand slam trophy but she said on Sunday that Olympic gold medals were an even bigger prize. Venus, who beat her sister Serena 7-5 6-4 on Saturday to claim her seventh grand slam title, said she was relishing the chance to add to her two Olympic golds (2000 singles and doubles) at August’s Beijing Games.

“I love the Olympics. To add to my medals is just, it would be amazing. I know I’ve got to work for it,” she told two invited reporters.

“It’s probably bigger than a slam, I think so, definitely. And you know how much I love Wimbledon, it’s bigger than Wimbledon.”

Williams has never won the French or Australian Open singles titles but said they would not be mean as much to her as Wimbledon’s Venus Rosewater Dish.

“At the end of the day, people remember the Wimbledon, I mean the French Open and the Australian are unbelievable slams but they can get a little lost on the wayside,” the 28-year-old American said.

“Wimbledon will never get lost.”

She said her fifth Wimbledon title was important because it brought her closer to the achievements of players such as Martina Navratilova (nine) and Steffi Graf (seven).

“This one is obviously really historic for me because I’m getting closer to being in the company of other great players. That was really the whole deal of it for me this year,” she said.

She and Serena collected the doubles title just hours after their singles encounter but Venus said her younger sister did not see that as making up for her earlier defeat.

“A loss is still a loss,” she said. “But we really wanted the doubles title, it’s huge, it’s Wimbledon. Two years from now we’ll see it was another notch on our grand slam belts.”

Venus said she hoped to build on the victory and perhaps one day return to the number one ranking

“I don’t think I can change too much about my game,” she said when asked what she needed to improve to become number one. “Hey, got to win matches, no secret on that one.” (Editing by Clare Lovell)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 04:26:25 PM by The BoholBizz »

leocalinan

• davao is hot
    • View Profile
Re: Venus eyes ultimate prize of more Olympic gold
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 06:34:21 PM »
what a goddess in tennis
and i am hot to you

Re: Venus eyes ultimate prize of more Olympic gold
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 11:34:54 AM »
 :P :P