• 29 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Big visa debts cripple Filipino workers' dreams of a better life
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »
June 29, 2013 Ben Schneiders Senior writer for The Age

They are the faces of debt bondage: Filipino workers brought to Australia on 457 visas and saddled with substantial debts carrying crippling interest rates.
Anthony Naupan was lumbered with a loan of $13,620, with a 47.9 per cent interest rate, to pay agents, financiers and middlemen just to come here.
The debt was nearly a third of his annual income, making it hard to send money back to his wife and six children in the Philippines.

Roland Dicang borrowed $14,600 at an interest rate of more than 45 per cent, while Noel Guran had debts of about $13,000. Both also found it harder to support their families back home.

Dozens of Filipinos have signed statements that they have incurred debts of up to $15,000, typically to be repaid in a little over a year. Some workers say they were told they could not come to Australia without agreeing to the high-interest loans.
Mr Naupan said he was ''shocked'' to find he would have to pay to get a visa, ''but we don't have a choice because we're looking to change our lives here in Australia … that's why we take the risk.''

Earlier this month Fairfax Media identified up to 200 cases of workers being exploited on the 187 and 457 visa schemes, and unions say abuse of 457 visas is widespread.

The federal government has acted on rorting, with a visa crackdown passing through Parliament on Friday on the final day of sitting before the election.

Under the changes, employers will have to advertise jobs to prove they searched for Australian staff before hiring temporary workers from overseas on 457 visas.

Immigration Minister Brendan O'Connor said the changes would protect local workers. ''Most Australians would expect that employers look local first before hiring workers from overseas,'' he said.

But the opposition said the legislation was a government attempt to choke the visa scheme and appease unions.
Australian Industry Group chief executive Innes Willox this week played down claims of abuse affecting some of the 110,000 workers on 457 visas.

''We need to be extremely wary about drawing broad conclusions from a tiny number of individual cases of alleged abuse,'' Mr Willox said.

The Filipino workers who spoke to Fairfax Media worked together last year for Australian Portable Camps near Murray Bridge in South Australia.
The company's national manager of people and culture, Brian Devey, said he was shocked the workers had been loaded up with debts by agents his company had used.

In the case of Mr Naupan, documents indicate the $13,620 he borrowed was split between Australian agents Heron Assist, Filipino agents SGS Human Resources and a financier. Heron has declined to comment.

''We were staggered,'' Mr Devey said. ''We pay significant fees to Heron Assist. There ought to be no reason for the Filipino 457s to pay. We are responsible for all the costs for 457s.''
He said the company paid Heron Assist between $4000 and $6000 for each worker. It had terminated their relationship in recent months.

The ''majority'' of the 35 Filipino workers it had hired in the past year had come from Heron Assist, he said.
Mr Naupan signed a contract in the Philippines with SGS and Heron Assist that warned he could be sacked for ''trade union activities'', a clause that is illegal under Australian laws. Mr Devey said his company had been unaware this contract had been signed.

Mr Naupan said he worked for Australian Portable Camps for seven months before being made redundant last November along with about a dozen Filipinos on 457 visas.

He said they were treated differently by the company after they joined a union. ''We were directly targeted because we are members of the union.''

Mr Dicang believes he was sacked after he joined a union and raised concerns about not being paid correct overtime.
Mr Guran said his pay was cut from the original contract he signed in the Philippines, a claim also made by others. The original contract said he would be paid $49,000, he said, but that was later reduced to $41,000. He was given no reason for the change.

He was out of work for three months after being sacked, making it hard to support his family.
Mr Devey denied the workers were targeted, saying it had to make about 60 workers redundant, including locals, because of a downturn. The overtime problem was due to an administrative error that affected both local and foreign workers.
The company was unaware that workers had signed contracts with agents in the Philippines on higher rates than they were offered here, he said.

Mr Naupan, who now works in Whyalla, said he had wanted to come to Australia in the hope of a better life.
He hopes to bring his family to Australia one day. ''Hopefully this year it will come true. If not, next year.''

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:12:24 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Australia seeks foreign workers, but beware of illegal recruiters
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 10:43:04 PM »
just beware of illegal recruiters!
Not so easy. They're smart. Otherwise, they won't thrive. Like me. Thrive on inhospitable ground. Hehe :) ;)
Reminds me. Gotta give Tart more lessons on how to scam you.
  ;D ;D ;D :) ;)

And Felix, too! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Tickets: What are they and why do you need them?
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 10:38:44 PM »
Posted: 10/07/2013 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Job-seekers, Mining, Oil-and-gas, Training-and-Development, Career-resources

‘Tickets’ and ‘licences’ are two terms you will hear often in your hunt for a resource industry job, but understanding what they mean - and what they should mean to you can be an obstacle. For unskilled potentials, overcoming this obstacle is vital for your long-term success.

What are tickets?
Before commencing work on most projects and with most hazardous machinery, employees must have completed induction training. The qualifications that recognise such training are called tickets.

Why are tickets important?
Resource industry projects are often carried out on sites that can be dangerous. Underground mines are constructed with explosives; open-cut mines warrant heavy crane operations; off-shore rigs have different demands for safety practices. Having your tickets means you are trained in safe conduct around the various elements of these work sites.

What tickets do you need?
The resource sector utilises more than 65 tickets across its workforce, but with most being position-dependent, knowing what you need to get started will save you plenty of time and money.

First thing’s first – the necessities:
•   Senior First Aid Certificate
•   White Card General Induction

These tickets are required by all employees on all Australian-based projects. If you are hoping to work in an offshore location, such as an oil and gas platform, you will also need to invest in the following:
•   Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training (BOSIET)
•   Helicopter Underwater Escape Training Certification (HUET)
•   Maritime Security Identification Card

An Australian Driver’s Licence and a National Police Clearance are also valuable additions for your curriculum vitae, especially if you are interested in mines where precious gems are extracted.

What tickets should you consider and when should you get them?
Beyond the basics, most tickets are role-or state-specific, so answering this question comes down to knowing what direction you want to move in with the resource sector.

Because ticket requirements are included on all resource industry job advertisements, it is worth your time to browse a few vacancies for the positions that interest you. Click here http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/mining/licences,-tickets---certifications.aspx   to search for tickets that are relevant to you. Doing so will give you a better idea of what tickets you can get before beginning work and what tickets can wait until you are already in the industry.

Having relevant tickets will add sheen to your resume and put you a head above the competition. Be prepared to fork out a few dollars on acquiring these important qualifications, but remember, it’s a minor expense for a rewarding career in the resource sector.

Get more careers advice:
•   Subscribe to our blog http://miningoilandgasjobs.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=9aabd8f2f1a7824c5826fa6a2&id=560413e755 . We’re publishing new information every day about employment in the Australian resource industry.
•   If you’re looking for a job in mining, energy or oil and gas, make sure you visit our industry jobs board http://www.miningoilandgasjobs.com/  where we only advertise real jobs by real employers.
•   Celebrate engineering’s achievements at Australian Engineering Week 2013 http://www.makeitso.org.au/australian-engineering-week   

To read more click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/july/tickets---what-are-they-and-why-do-you-need-them.aspx
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:41:51 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
How to spot an online job scam
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 07:12:13 PM »
Posted: 12/08/2013 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Recruitment, Job-seekers

Looking for a job can be hard enough without the worry of falling victim to an online job scam. After being turned down from several jobs amid a challenging climate, it’s no surprise that struggling jobseekers at their wits end might agree to pay for background checks, training materials and equipment to only later find out they’ve been scammed.

If you’re looking for a job, keep an eye out for these tell-tale signs of an online job scam:

1. The email address ends in @yahoo, @gmail, @hotmail
Not all companies have a company email, especially if they’re just starting out. However, if there’s a company name in the ad and they’re a well-known company, not having a professional email is worth investigating.

2. The contact person cannot be found through an online search
Although not everyone can be found through a Google search, chances are that an employer can be found on the internet including social media sites such as LinkedIn.

3. You receive an immediate job offer 24 hours after application
If it seems too good to be true, chances are it probably is. It is important to remember that there are processes to go through before getting a job. Any legitimate employer will want to know more about you and assess your skills before offering you the job.

4. You have to pay
Only recently a group of backpackers lost thousands of dollars to an online scam seeking fruit-pickers in Western Australia http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-01/backpackers-defrauded-in-online-jobs-scam/4858962?&section=news , highlighting the importance of vigilance when jobseeking. It is unlawful in Australia for employment agencies to take money or seek payment for getting somebody a job. Even if payment of a fee is part of the condition of your employment, you’re dealing with a scam. Sometimes scammers will say the fee relates to immigration or travel but beware, it’s a scam. If you’re promised reimbursement at a later date, it’s still a scam. Act with caution if using sites like Gumtree to find a job.

If you’re job-hunting at the moment, keep an eye out for the signs above. Visit sites such as ScamNet http://www.scamnet.wa.gov.au/scamnet/Home.htm  to arm yourself with the knowledge so you’re better equipped to recognise scams.
•   If you’re looking for a mining job and want to avoid a job scam, sign up for job alerts http://www.miningoilandgasjobs.com/jobs/mining-and-metals/?utm_source=blog&utm_medium=social&utm_content=how+to+spot+a+job+scam&utm_campaign=enhance-moagj
•   Sign up to blogs by email http://miningoilandgasjobs.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=9aabd8f2f1a7824c5826fa6a2&id=560413e755  for great careers advice.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/august-2013/how-to-spot-an-online-job-scam.aspx

j

juan

• View Profile
Job ad paints new picture of 457 visa scheme
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »
The Age July 24, 2013 by Ben Schneiders, Clay Lucas

It's a job offer with a catch. An online advertisement looking for painters states it has three positions available for workers on 457 visas. But to take the job you have to be prepared to invest in the company.

"We have 3 positions available immediately. Company is 'sponsorship ready' with decent turnover. So investment is required from applying candidates," the ad on Gumtree Australia read. "You will also be given shares in the company."

Attempts to contact the employer failed, but the ad is the latest to draw attention to claims the 457 visa scheme is being rorted.

Last month Fairfax Media revealed up to 200 cases of workers being exploited on the 187 and 457 visa schemes. These included workers being loaded with debts on very high interest rates to pay off agents and financiers.

But the latest ad is different again, as it requires would-be workers to "invest" in a company to get work.
Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union national construction secretary Dave Noonan said there needed to be an investigation by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

A spokesman for the department said the job ad was not in the spirit of the laws but it was unclear if it was in breach of them.

Mr Noonan said there was mounting evidence the 457 system was being abused. "Those that say there is no rorting of the system are deluded and out of touch," he said.

He said labour hire firms and migration agents were often to blame. "There are many migration agents that are responsible but we are aware that there are some migration agents that have been making an absolute squillion out of rorting the 457 visa system."

Employer groups have rejected claims of widespread abuse of the scheme and have attacked new government rules.
The apparent rorting of Australia's visa system also appears wider than the nation's temporary work permits.
Last month, job ads began appearing on British jobseeker website Reed.co.uk for transport operators to work in Australia's mining sector.

They also warned that "no relocation assistance or travel expenses will be provided", and that successful applicants only offered "camp style accommodation" in Australia's outback.

But the ads also noted that: "These positions would ideally suit working holiday visa holders."

The federal government's working holiday visa program is designed to encourage "cultural exchange and closer ties" between countries, by allowing young people to have an extended holiday supplemented by short-term employment.

Mr Noonan said using working holiday visas like this was "just a mechanism to undermine standards for Australian workers".

j

juan

• View Profile
Australia's 457 'king of visas' is a road to serfdom for many migrants
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 10:46:17 PM »
ABC News By Michael Janda Updated Fri 6 Sep 2013, 8:04pm AEST

They are called the "king of visas" by some migration agents, but Nguyen Dung's 457 visa made him more pauper than prince.
"The [migration] agent told me that I could earn $50,000 per year, but actually it's just $15 per hour," he said.
Furthermore, Mr Nguyen was supposed to be employed full time, but instead was taken on as a casual.

Mr Nguyen's pay was clearly below the minimum wage of more than $20 per hour for casuals, and it also breached a key 457 visa requirement that employees earn at least $53,000 a year - a requirement designed to prevent the visa being abused to bring in cheap labour for low skill jobs.

However, not only was Mr Nguyen underpaid, he was placed in a job that did not utilise the skills which made him eligible for a 457 visa in the first place.

"I have a certificate of chef,
he [the migration agent] gave me a job in a restaurant, and so I thought I can work as a chef, but actually I was a kind of cleaner," Mr Nguyen said.

After about five months of part-time cleaning, Mr Nguyen was finally got some time in the kitchen.
However, when he asked for his pay to go up, he was shown the door.

"In the interview in the restaurant, he said to me that at first I just earn $15 per hour, but when I learn many job and when I am skilled, I can ask for a pay rise, so I did that but they fired me," he explained.
For all this, Mr Nguyen paid a premium to his migration agent.

"When I get visa, I pay $10,000 and then when I get the job I have to pay more $10,000. Finally, the agent said to me after I work two years in Australia I can get permanent [residency], then I have to pay more $10,000 again," he said.

Co-ethnic exploitation common
Mr Nguyen found his agent through ads on Vietnamese radio and in community newspapers in Sydney.
Research just published in The Economic and Labour Relations Review and examined by the ABC has found that foreign workers employed by other members of the same ethnic community are the most vulnerable to exploitation.

The research by Dr Selvaraj Velayutham involved interviews of around 40 457 visa holders from India over a three-year period.
The report is not a statistical study of 457 visa satisfaction, and noted that previous such studies had found more than 98 per cent of respondents were broadly satisfied with their experiences.

However, it also observed that many of these surveys were distributed through employers or the post, and may miss some of the vulnerable workers with poor English skills that were most at risk of exploitation.

Indeed, Dr Velayutham found that while white collar Indian 457 visa holders, often in IT and working in large companies, enjoyed employment conditions broadly comparable with their Australian counterparts, workers in manufacturing, construction and hospitality were more vulnerable.

In particular, the research found that hospitality employees were in danger of exploitation because they often worked long hours with small groups of co-workers, and had little time off work to spend in the broader community to establish support networks.

"All restaurant workers we spoke to worked long hours - typically 15 or more hours a day, seven days a week. Few had time off, other than short periods between the lunch and dinner meal shifts," Dr Velayutham's report finds.

The research found some employees working twice as many hours as promised in their original contract for no extra pay - often earning the equivalent of the minimum wage for a standard 38-hour week even though the visa holder was working more than 80 hours.

"All we spoke to had the experience of 'two contracts' - one they signed in India prior to departure and an amended one presented to them upon arrival with far less favourable conditions," noted Dr Velayutham in the article.

In one of the case studies, a 457 visa holder named Mr Lal was lured to Australia in 2006 with the promise of reimbursement for his travel expenses and a job that would pay $3,000 a month for a six-day week of eight-hour days.

However, when he arrived he told the researchers he worked an average of 17-18 hours per day, seven days a week and was not paid for the duration of his employment.

Mr Lal was forced to sleep on a dirty carpet in a closed shop nearby that did not have a toilet.
He was sent on two trips to India to buy equipment for the restaurant, and was not paid or compensated for the cost of that equipment.

Upon demanding compensation after the first trip, Mr Lal says his employer threatened to kill him and harm his family in India.
While on the second trip, his employer informed the Department of Immigration that it had sacked Mr Lal, and his visa was cancelled.

He was left destitute in India, with no realistic avenue of redress to recover his unpaid wages and costs and a debt to repay with no source of income.

Hospitality by name, not by nature
The director of Anti-Slavery Australia at UTS, Jennifer Burn, says the Australian Institute of Criminology has identified hospitality as a problem area for worker exploitation.

"The vulnerable sectors include the hospitality industry, workers in construction and in some of the regional, seasonal work," she said.

Ms Burn says new federal laws were passed in March to outlaw some of the worst practices.
"This amendment will criminalise forced labour in Australia, deceptive recruitment and also debt bondage," she said.
Hospitality is an area that is already being targeted in an audit by the Fair Work Ombudsman for suspected abuses of both foreign and local workers.

However, the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry's Jenny Lambert says the Immigration Department also needs to increase its enforcement activities, because dodgy employers are undermining support for the whole 457 visa scheme.

"In the small number of cases where employers are doing the wrong thing, the employer groups such as the ACCI would very much support increased enforcement, particularly in relation to these more serious 457 visa abuses," she said.

"If an academic based at Macquarie University can go out and find these cases, why can't the Department of Immigration?"
The Immigration Department's own figures show accommodation and food services is the fastest growing area for 457 visas, with the number of visa applications in that sector more than doubling over the past year.

The latest data show there were 7,810 applications in hospitality in the 11 months to May 31, 2013.

The Transport Workers Union has been helping Nguyen Dung, and its national secretary Tony Sheldon says he is disturbed by the surge in 457 visas for hospitality jobs.

"The Bureau of Statistics tells us that spending in hotels and restaurants has actually fallen in the last year by 1.1 per cent, but we've seen a substantive increase of hundreds of additional visas, supposedly as chefs, coming into the country every month," he said.

"That doesn't equate unless you're actually exploiting more people, doing it to get cheaper labour and disadvantage Australian chef professionals."

However, Jenny Lambert says there are genuine skills shortages for chefs who can cook specific cuisines. [Attention: RG]
"The Australian consumer demands nowadays that variety in their cuisine choices, so there is a meeting of demand for a wide range of offerings," she responded.

"The 457 visa really needs to be available to that sector."

Foreign workers in the dark on rights
Mr Sheldon says he believes exploitation of foreign workers is far more common that statistics show, because many are afraid to speak up, lose their job and have their visa revoked.

"What happens to Dung, he takes it up, and then the Department [of Immigration] holds him to account, his visa's broken, while the employer who's receiving the cash benefit of exploited labour continues to operate," he argued.

Dr Velayutham found most Indian workers he interviewed were not even aware of their workplace rights in the first place, and did not realise that they were entitled to the same conditions as local staff.

Ms Burn says workplace rights factsheets in their native language should be given to all foreign workers when they apply for their visas or as soon as they arrive in the country.

"A factsheet itself isn't going to provide a cure for labour exploitation, but increasing the amount of information in the community about legal rights and responsibilities is critical," she suggested.

The ACCI's Jenny Lambert concurs.

"A well-informed person is obviously more empowered to make a complaint," she agreed.
However, any reforms will come too late for Dung, whose visa is due to expire in October, when he will go home.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:22:25 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Australia's 457 'king of visas' is a road to serfdom for many migrants
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »
Why no mention of Filipino workers being exploited? ??? Tingali ang mga recruitment agencies sa ato mga honest-to-goodness agencies. ;D ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Australia seeks foreign workers, but beware of illegal recruiters
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 07:17:30 PM »
Australian Mining 23 February, 2012 Andrew Duffy

While mining companies are hungrier than ever for workers many applicants are finding it impossible to get work in the industry.
Scam sites, preying on the enthusiasm of workers, are also proliferating, and cheating more and more job seekers out of their time and money.
With this in mind Australian Mining has named its top two online resources for workers seeking mining jobs.
Between the two of them these websites contain a wealth of information on how to find employment, and are a great starting point for the mining job hunt.
If other job seekers know of some high quality, professional sources of information, share them with the community in the comments below.

Mining, Oil, and Gas jobs
http://www.miningoilandgasjobs.com
Unlike a lot of the junk out there Mining, Oil, and Gas Jobs is a professional organisation run by the resources industry.
The Australian Mines and Metals Association is the driving force behind the website, which connects job seekers, employers, industry figures, and training organisations in one place.
There's a wealth of genuine free information for job seekers, and with its official links, workers can be assured they won't feel cheated.
One of the best aspects of Mining, Oil, and Gas Jobs is their strong presence on social media and willingness to interact with their users.

The Resource Channel
http://www.theresourcechannel.com.au
Like Mining, Oil, and Gas Jobs, The Resource Channel is a professional organisation.
It's also supported by the mining industry, with official endorsements from the Australian Petroleum Production & Exploration Association and Minerals Council of Australia.
Whilst gaining official endorsements, The Resource Channel also keeps at arms length from specific organisations, which it claims gives it an edge with independence and objectivity.
Its newsletters are relevant and not filled with junk, and its blogs feature a wide range of guest writers producing quality content.

I agree wholeheartedly with this article..There are other wwebsites as well, just try gorgonjobs.com and indeed.com.au
It is hard to break, I had many years experience in HR and only after about 200 applications are the firms taking an interest in me and carrying out interviews, phone ones I might say, no need to travel to get the job. Good luck to all . Thanks for articles, I will keep getting this email sent to me.

Thanks and I will let you all know when I get a start , albeit in WA or NT, or QLD Regards

Warren

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:38:31 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Mining jobs scam
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »

j

juan

• View Profile