j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Re: Are Filipino values good or bad.?
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
tobma as wangal yalip dade as ko ko
Angal ka, Choi? Hehe  :) ;)
Can't blame you. Even refugees/asylum seekers angal din. And many, perhaps most, are unskilled and little or no English.
Times have changed. Before, migrants from Europe, e.g. Yugoslav, mosugot man.
Seriously, believe that's the easiest way to get into the mines. From then on, sip2X ang kailangan para asenso. It's not only what you know but also who you know. To be precise, whose a$$ you lick. ;D Way to go in any organization.
Different with an engineer like Zulacs. Cadet engineer (or whatever it's called) as entry level. Then, build career path in the mining industry - a very rewarding one. ;)

Hindi edad ang problema, Choi! Ang habol ng mga chicks ai pesonality at caracter. Oh, yeah, most men in Pilar Pilapil's life were much older than her - Dolphy, Poe, Estrada, prominent politicians. :) ;)
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
What is crab mentality?
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »
Filipino Culture
The term “crab mentality” is used to describe a kind of selfish, short-sighted thinking which runs along the lines of “if I can't have it, neither can you.” This term is especially widely used among Filipinos, who use it specifically to refer to people who pull other people down, denigrating them rather than letting them get ahead or pursue their dreams. As a general rule, an accusation of having a crab mentality is a poor reflection on someone's personality.
This concept references an interesting phenomenon which occurs in buckets of crabs. If one crab attempts to escape from a bucket of live crabs, the other crabs will pull it back down, rather than allowing it to get free. Sometimes, the crabs seem almost malicious, waiting until the crab has almost escaped before yanking it back into the pot. All of the crabs are undoubtedly aware of the fact that their fate is probably not going to be very pleasurable, so people are led to wonder why they pull each other back into the bucket, instead of congratulating the clever escape artist.
When someone has a crab mentality, it means that they are unwilling to allow someone to get out of a situation, or to get ahead. In a classic example of crab mentality, people who are attempting to get out of bad life situations often find themselves foiled by friends and family members who keep sucking them back in. For example, a Latina immigrant in the United States who decides to pursue a college education in the hopes of securing a good career may find herself discouraged by family members who do not approve of education, or fear that she will become distanced from her family after going to college.
The crab mentality can strike at all levels of life. Some charitable organizations are sometimes accused of a crab mentality, with members of the organization failing to think ahead or refusing to support certain initiatives in a way which ultimately drags the whole charity down. In office environments, the crab mentality can be particularly devastating, as coworkers snipe at each other to bring each other down, rather than congratulating someone who earns a promotion.
The crab mentality is a reflection of the famous saying “we all like to see our friends get ahead, but not too far ahead.” Learning to recognize the crab mentality in yourself is a very good idea, especially if you work or live in a highly competitive environment.
 :) ;)
Everybody dreams of becoming the best in every aspect in the human life where there are competitions. We join contests to win. We fight to prove we are the greatest. We all want to get the golden cup or the sparkling medal for recognition of our glory and hard work. In short, we are all born to fight just like the saying “survival of the fittest”.

In our way to the top, we gather friends and peers for help and support. They make our goal-hunting easier and hassle-free. Providing laughter and smiles to wash the tiring competitiveness away.

But of course, when the road to our goals gets nearer, everything changes from flowers to thorns. Earlier, I have said that everyone wants to become the best. But sometimes, some of this “everyone” is your friend.

This is when the war begins.

People start to drag others down so they could work their way to the top. Either you deny it or not, we possess this attitude. Crab Mentality. To win, we strive with our best until we realize that our best is not enough, we resort to our last option. The dark evil ones: backstabbing, lies, gossip, etc. All of these under crab mentality. We destroy whatever good we have gathered through the way just for the prize on top. The flowery – friendly adventure has turned into greedy self – centering quests.

What we don’t realize is that our friends, the memories, the smiles, the laughers…everything, is more than the prize that we kill for. All we have to do is open our eyes and see this. Then, everything will be more different starting from you.

By esioul

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:13:23 PM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
What is colonial mentality?
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 09:23:37 PM »
"Colonial mentality refers to institutionalized or systemic feelings of inferiority within some societies or peoples who have been subjected to colonialism, relative to the mores or values of the foreign powers which had previously subjugated them. The concept essentially refers to the acceptance, by "he colonized, of the culture or doctrines of the colonizer as intrinsically more worthy or superior. ..."

Examples of Colonial Mentality:

"In the Philippines colonial mentality is most evident in the existence of favoritism for Filipino mestizos (primarily those of native Filipino and white ancestry, but also indigenous Filipino and Chinese, and other ethnic groups) in the entertainment industry and mass media ..."

"One of the more adverse physical consequences in the idealization and acceptance of the racial concepts of colonial mentality can be seen in the high rate of consumer demand for skin bleaching products used by some indigenous women in the Philippines. Skin-whitening creams have for a long time been popular and widely used in much of the Philippines for the lightening of the skin tones in order to achieve the so-called "Mestizo look". The products are believed to be used primarily by women who have succumbed to the Filipino ideal and colonial doctrine of the idealization of mestizo beauty to the greatest extreme. The consumers of these products, whether conscious or subconsciously, are following the dangerous edict on beauty by continuing to use those products despite the extremely hazardous side effects to their health, including a high risk of various cancers due to many of its active ingredients, including mercury. These products have been banned in the USA due to racial controversies, but their sale and demand in the Philippines continues to be widespread."

Other Current Examples:

1. The use of "Sir Knight" instead of "Ginoong Mandirigma" as alias;
2. The use of English to get through with our ideas to one another;
3. The use of Spanish cursing words, also to get our ideas across to one another; and
4. Preference of foreign brands (e.g., Marlboro over Alhambra Matamis, Nescafe over Kapeng Barako, Black Label over Lambanog, Nokia over "dalawang lata at pisi"...?)

Believe this is a subtle form of reverse racism.
Reverse racism is a term which refers to racial prejudice or discrimination directed against members of one's own race.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:28:41 PM by juan »