Miss USA 2008 - Crystle Stewart Interview

• 3 replies
Miss USA 2008 - Crystle Stewart Interview
« on: November 11, 2008, 06:15:39 PM »
By DIANE COWEN Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Crystle Stewart, of Missouri City, has taken on breast cancer awareness as the theme of her year as Miss USA. Robert Seale For the Chronicle

If Crystle Stewart had a nickname suitable to her life right now, it would likely be "The Body." The 26-year-old Missouri City resident and University of Houston graduate is the reigning Miss USA, and is known for winning, hands-down, every swimsuit competition she's been in. This beauty is also smart, confident and healthy. Not long ago she had a breast cancer scare — a biopsy showed that a lump was benign — and she's taken on breast cancer awareness as the theme of her year as Miss USA. She took time recently for a photo shoot at The Endeavour luxury high-rise in Seabrook and talked with Chronicle Health editor Diane Cowen.

Q: How did you get interested in beauty pageants?

A: I was at the mall and ran into a friend who used to compete in pageants. She encouraged me to do it. I never in a million years thought I'd compete, let alone win.

Q: You won on your first try?

A: No, I competed in the Miss Houston pageant before and was a runner up a few times — but I won the swimsuit contests. Eventually I won Miss Texas USA (in July 2007) and then Miss USA (in April 2008). (She also placed in the top 10 in the Miss Universe pageant in July 2008.)

Q: So you always knew you had a great body?

A: It's funny, but I didn't. My friend had asked me "How's your body?" and all I could say was "I don't know." I ran track in high school so I guess I was in shape. But I got in a swimsuit, and every year I won.

Q: Have you always been fit?

A: I've always been slim, I can say that. Running track helped my muscle definition.

Q: Do you work out?

A: I try to work out twice a week, for strength and endurance. I do leg presses and calf presses, bicep and tricep curls and exercises for my chest.

Q: Any cardio?

A: I do about five minutes of cardio. I have a hard time gaining and maintaining my weight, and I don't want to burn too many calories.

Q: How much do you weigh?

A: 125 pounds. And I'm 5 feet, 9 inches tall.

Q: Do you think you're too thin?

A: I have curves, they're just smaller. Hey, I competed in the swimsuit pageant and won. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Q: But you said you struggle to gain or even maintain weight. Do you want to gain now?

A: I would like to gain 10 pounds.

Q: So what are you doing about it?

A: I eat a lot, but I want it to be healthy. I eat nuts and peanut butter. Pasta. I eat three meals and two snacks a day. I probably eat 4,500 calories a day. That's to put weight on.

Q: You read about pageant contestants getting all kinds of work done: breast augmentation, liposuction, nose jobs, teeth bleaching. Did you get anything fixed?

A: This is all me. Oh, I did get my teeth bleached.

Q: On to more serious questions. Tell me about your breast cancer scare.

A: When I was 21, I did a self-breast exam and felt a lump, maybe smaller than a dime. I checked again the next day and it was still there. I went to the doctor and she felt it, too. She did an ultrasound and it was solid. I left there pretty scared and my doctor advised getting a biopsy to make sure it wasn't cancer. I had the lump removed and, fortunately, it was benign.

Q: So now it's your platform?

A: Yes, I was 21 and didn't know much about it then. I certainly didn't think it was something for 21-year-olds or for African-Americans. I'd like to talk about it and inform people to be aware. Test yourself and be aware of your body no matter your age or ethnicity.

Q: What else have you learned about it?

A: In African-American women it's very prevalent, higher than any other ethnicity. If you catch it earlier, there's a better chance you'll survive. A lot of women don't do self breast exams or get mammograms and when they do find out they have cancer it's too late. Black women have a higher incidence of death because there's is diagnosed later.

Q: What else will you tell people?

A: Everywhere I go I talk about self breast exams. I'm tyring to get a cute slogan. I'm thinking about: Take the test and check your breast.

Q: I'm sure young girls see you as a role model. What do you talk to them about?

A: I urge them to be comfortable with who they are. If you like your eyes, use those so people don't notice other things. Or let your flaws be what make you unique.

Q: What else?

A: To remember that beauty comes from within. I've met a lot of beautiful women, and after I get to know them, they're not so beautiful. Houston Chronicle, United States, 20.10.08

MariAnnaGipit

• Beauty Queen/Model
    • View Profile
Re: Miss USA 2008 - Crystle Stewart Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 02:16:19 PM »
i can answer like that too,good job crystle
"make love not war,world peace"

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 01:50:02 PM »
i like her

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:01:06 PM »
NEW YORK - MARCH 09: Miss USA 2008 Crystle Stewart attends the School of American Ballet's winter ball at Lincoln Center on March 9, 2009 in New York City. (Photo by Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images)