• 20 replies

rogergatal

• Administrator
  • "proud to be an MG security, and i'm watching you"
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
Siquijor Island
« on: December 09, 2008, 07:32:38 AM »
Siquijor is an island province of the Philippines located in the Central Visayas region. Its capital is the municipality also named Siquijor. To the northwest of Siquijor are Cebu and Negros, to the northeast is Bohol and to the south, across the Bohol Sea is Mindanao.

Siquijor is the third smallest province in the country both in terms of population and land area, after Camiguin and Batanes. For a time it was sub-province of Negros Oriental. Called Isla del Fuego of the “Island of Fire” by the Spanish before.

Geography

Political Siquijor is subdivided into 6 municipalities. Siquijor is the capital and most important port. Six municipalities comprise Siquijor Province. These are Siquijor, Larena, Enrique Villanueva, Maria, Lazi, and San Juan.

Physical Terrain. Siquijor is an island province in the Visayas. It lies southeast from Cebu and Negros across Cebu Strait (in some references called Bohol Strait) and southwest from Bohol. Bohol is also located north of Mindanao separated by the Bohol Sea.

With a land area of 343.5 km² and a coastline 102 km long, Siquijor is the 3rd smallest province of the Philippines. The highest peak at the center of the island is Mount Bandilaan.

Climate. The climate in Siquijor like most of the rest of the country is very tropical. It is dry from January to May and wet the rest of the year. Annual rainfall is 1000 to 1300 millimeters with November having the heaviest rainfall and April having the least. Siquijor has an average temperature of 28 °C and a humidity of 78%.

Siquijor is the magical and mystical island of the Philippines used to be part of Negros Oriental and it was at that time called Island of Fire.

Siquijor is said to have magic potions, shamans, sorcerers and witches - and a lot of Filipinos will not stay overnight on this island because of this superstition. For me it just makes the trip more exiting and I enjoyed my overnight stay in Siquijor.

Siquijor is only about an hours boatride from Dumaguete City, so it is easy to include Siquijor as a day trip from Dumaguete. Once you arrive on the island I suggest you talk to one of the local multicab drivers and arrange for him to take you around the island and show you all the sights worth seeing here.

St. Francis of Assisi Church, a few hundred meters from the port of Siquijor is this church. This parish and the stone church was established by secular priests in February of 1783.

the altar

church entrance

church interior

Escape to Siquijor Island

If you are made to believe that Siquijor is an island of sorcerers or “mangbabarangs”, maybe it’s time to reacquaint yourself with its true identity. Visitors will have plenty of exploration to do before he unravels the true beauty of this island.

Siquijor has a lot of interesting places to visit. Make a list to visit the St. Francis de Assisi Church and its old bell tower; the Cambuhagay falls; the unique St. Isidore Church and the Lazi convent which is said to be the biggest and the oldest in whole Asia; the Mt. Bandilaan National Park, the highest peak in Siquijor which is a preserved rain forest and home to numerous and diverse endemic fauna and flora and several caves and natural springs; and Capilay Spring, a “must-see” for its natural spring converted into a swimming pool situated in the town of San Juan.

st. isidore church                                                old belltower

Lazi church ground, the parish was established in 1857. Made primarily of coral stones and hardwood. They were established by Agustinian priests, using slavery and religion(synonymos to oppression) to build it(what else would it be?), much of what the Spanish friars did during the colonization of the Philippines was oppression, anyway. This, and several other Philippine landmarks, were designated as a national historical landmark in August of 1973.

convent frontage

convent

Salagdoong Forest, A rather hot noontime, entering Salagdoong Forest. And no, this is not those places you probably imagined where there are tales and folklores, of heroes, of dwarfs, of fairies, of the supernatural. This is just one of the forested pathways in the island of Siquior, mystically eerie, uniquely beautiful. Its like there's always a suprise somewhere, somehow, just around the bend. But there are none, and just like most of the roads in Siquijor island this... is just another lonely road.

the lonely road                                                   the concrete-laden part of the Mt. Bandila-an trail

the forgotten station, the holy week was just a few weeks ago. But with the shrubs and plant specie growing inside this Station of the cross marker, is evidence enough that this trail is forgotten, and not so many people frequent this place anymore, not even on the most significant days that this marker stand for.

summit cross, located at Mt. Bandila-an Summit. A few meters away from the Summit Viewing Deck.

Standing after many centuries, at Lazi town is this tree, reputed to be almost half a millennium old, large and enchanted. Speaking of enchanted stuff... I have never experienced. And I have this funny theory, that the supernatural happens only to those who are dead cowards. Science is science. Supernatural? still has to be proven.

cantabon cave, one of the larger parts of the cave,  near the entrance

cave fresh water, near the end of Cantabon cave's 300 meter long passageways. Freshwater flowing over the cave's flowstones. Stalactites and Stalagmites and other types of speleothems are everywhere. While this cave is not as big as the other caves I've visited, it certainly has the one of the most beautiful cave formations and the most difficult by far in terms of bringing my camera through the caverns. There is a passage, that's probably only 3 feet from the bottom. And from the bottom, you have 2 feet of water. While this is an easy task if you're just in for a swim or a dip, it gets difficult when you have a flashlight on the other hand and a bag on the other hand with some items that needs to be dry.

the tub, this mouth-like structure is about midway the 300 meter long cave. The water and tub-like structure is enough for 2 or 3 persons. This is freshwater flowing on the cave's flowstones. Stalactites and Stalagmites and other types of speleothems are everywhere.

near the end of Cantabon cave's 300 meter long passageways. Freshwater flowing over the cave's flowstones. Stalactites and Stalagmites and other types of speleothems are everywhere.

illumination, pointing a flashlight to one of the stalactites near the cave entrance. Shot taken shortly before leaving the cave early in the evening in the Island of Siquijor.

shortly after sunrise

White sand beaches make up most of the 102-kilometer coastline of the little island of Siquijor. Found in the Visayas region, it is a famous travel spot for tourists and locals alike because of its vast coral reefs that are just ideal for scuba diving and snorkeling.

It generally has a hilly terrain that has magnificent white rock formations that have been shaped by the changing wind and a total of six interesting caves, the most popular of which is the Cantabon Cave – a cavern filled with stalactites and stalagmites, tiny waterfalls and pools.

Island tours include trekking and spelunking. It also has rivers and springs surrounded by dense mangroves and an undisturbed tropical forest.

salagdoong beach

Salagdoong Beach Resort is the perfect island getaway. One can make use of the amenities and services that the resort offers including package tours around the island’s historical spots – a century old house and equally ancient cathedrals and convents. Other places of interest are the Mount Bandilaan Butterfly Sanctuary and Tree Park and the Kambugahay Falls in Lazi, Salagdoong Beach Resort is discreetly tucked away in a cove providing for ultimate privacy with a refreshing view of the shoreline.

gray sky morning

coconut on the beach

Siquijor is also well-known for its festivals that focus on primitive healing rituals where incantations are sung while the old folks make potions out of herbs, roots, insects and tree barks. In hushed talks, locals would share a story or two about folk legends pointing to the existence of witchcraft and witches in the island. This peculiar occurrence lends more mystery and magic to the character that is Siquijor.

Suiquijor may be reached from three vantage points in the Visayas: Dumaguete, Bohol and Cebu. The boat ride to the port of Larena is fairly short depending on the weather conditions.

siquijor mountain range

Cambugahay Waterfalls

Rumoured to be the single enchanted waterform in the province, the Cambugahay Waterfalls indeed look charmed. This multi tiered waterfall is a soothing and refreshing retreat – the water is clear and calm and fit for bathing. The surrounding trees provide a picturesque backdrop, coupled with the intermittent bird sounds and the constant gurgling of the water makes the Cambugahay Waterfalls a definite must see.

The easiest way to get there is by renting a motorbike or a multicab and by foot towards the actual vicinity. The path going to the waterfall is somewhat steep and the rocks could be slippery but once the waterfalls come into view, the stunning vista makes you forget about everything else. It is indeed a cool respite to any traveller’s weary spirit.

This series of multi-plunge pool area of the river is just approximately 2 kilometers from the town center of Lazi. It is clean, but on a few times, those who take a dip here are as irresponsible as most government officials in the country. Some of them used soap, and had the nerve to show off and jump off the main waterfall with shampoo suds all over his hair.

Well, lack of education has always been a cause for slow development in the country, pretty much synonymous for most of the citizens. Anyway, this area of Siquijor is one of the best... nice series of wateralls, deep enough for jumping off the highest point of the main waterfall, and small enough to enjoy.

cambugahay waterfalls

We welcome you all to visit Siquijor Island, one of the most favored tourist destinations in the Philippines because of its pristine beaches and peaceful environment. Here, you will only hear the sound of the waves of the ocean or the chirping birds on a tree. Virgin as it is, tourists who flock to this island are amazed at how hospitable and friendly locals are. They are poor, yet they are happy.

Siquijor is open for the world to see!
life is beautiful!

rogergatal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
Re: Siquijor Island
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 07:34:05 AM »

Siquijor is a beautiful, peaceful, and one of Philippines gorgeous islands. It is the best place to spend an island adventure. A place you will keep coming: tropical, fresh sea breeze, never ending stretch of fine white sand beaches, great diving sites, and a number of cultural, historical and natural attractions. People here are very friendly and hospitable.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:37:46 AM by Roger Gatal »
life is beautiful!

sandra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 11:45:45 AM »
i heard so many wonderful stories about this enchanting island.

consuelo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 12:17:48 PM »
totoo kaya yung naririnig ko tungkol sa bayan ng Siquijor?puntahan ko kaya.

Babat

• Global Moderator
  • "Feel the LOVE today"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 02:54:36 PM »
Wow Roger!...Thank You!....Nakahilak jud ko sa kalipay oy!....I miss Siquijor na jud..and thanks to you...I'm so super excited to go home na pohon :D :D...yeaahhhh.... :-* :-* :-*
My Life with Tennis click link 4 details:    http://www.alotbagotchay.blogspot.com

"Some people need "LOVE" spelled out for them."..... including me.. =)

http://www.mikeygatal.com/connect/index.php

Babat

• Global Moderator
  • "Feel the LOVE today"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »
totoo kaya yung naririnig ko tungkol sa bayan ng Siquijor?puntahan ko kaya.

Don't believe everything you hear Consuelo.... ;)
My Life with Tennis click link 4 details:    http://www.alotbagotchay.blogspot.com

rogergatal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 04:34:18 PM »
Wow Roger!...Thank You!....Nakahilak jud ko sa kalipay oy!....I miss Siquijor na jud..and thanks to you...I'm so super excited to go home na pohon :D :D...yeaahhhh.... :-* :-* :-*
you're welcome babat, excited to see you too soon hehehehe..
life is beautiful!

Babat

• Global Moderator
  • "Feel the LOVE today"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 04:36:38 PM »
you're welcome babat, excited to see you too soon hehehehe..

promise di na ko shy....bahala na... ;D

rogergatal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 04:40:33 PM »
promise di na ko shy....bahala na... ;D
hahahaha wow!
life is beautiful!

c

coolbreeze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 04:51:23 PM »
it's a very charming island, and the people are very warm, morag mga bol-anon.:)