Dissociative Identity Disorder

• 15 replies
s

swiftslaughter

« on: March 14, 2009, 02:30:38 PM »
By Admin • Mar 4th, 2009 • Category: Intro to Psychology

Dissociative identity disorder is identified as a psychiatric condition in which a single person emits several distinct personalities. Some call this condition alter egos or alters. Each personality is capable of interacting with the same environment within the scopes of the particular alter ego’s parameters.

They may have different sex, race, or age. For instance a Caucasion male may have an alter that is a Hispanic female. In the same instance a 70 year old female could have an alter that is only 11. It is never a representation of the same person in a differnet time. These symptoms are not related to drug abuse in any way. Earlier Versions of this disorder were called MPD (multiple personality disorder).

Originally, DID (dissociative identity disorder) was seen as a scientific event confined to North America. It took years for psychiatrists to validate it as a true disorder due to it’s controversy. The reason for the controversy was that most of it’s victims had claimed to have been physically and sometimes mentally abused during childhood. About 98% have had some type of life threatening trauma or abuse before the age of 9. Psychiatrists believed that there was a “safe haven” created in the minds of children that allowed them to deal with the acts that were happening with them and could help them in coping with real life dilemmas. Elizabeth Loftus was one of the first psychiatrists to document these findings.

This makes diagnosis of dissociative identity disorder imperative so that the patient is not misdiagnosed. It is believed that some psychiatrists can introduce this condition iatrogenically. What this means is that the idea can become suggestible to patients. The theory also adds physical abuse or some type of trauma that occurred during childhood.

Most individuals with DID demonstrate such signs and symptoms as headaches, and body pains, loss of time, multiple mannerisms. Several will experience amnesia or loss of memory. The patient can have these symptoms as a severe functionality impairment or moderate. It can become a hardship in dealing with day to day activities which can make it difficult for a patient to maintain work status and simple home care needs.

Doctors must use and look at all factors when diagnosing dissociative identity disorder. EEG or electroencephalography measures electrical activity produced in the brain. This test has been able to yield several distinct differences between different alter egos in different patients. Other scientific studies concluded that muscle tension, intensity of concentration, suicide attempts, and mood swings were apparent.

Also, brain imaging studies have measured different cerebral blood flow with different alters. This type of study showed that patients who had undergone some sort of traumatic stress was also prone to having smaller hippocampus volumes. This is part of the forebrain found in the medial temporal lobe. It plays a huge role in short term memory.

DID is often triggered by a flashback. Some patients experience visual hallucinations or relive their trauma through an out of body experience also known as depersonalization. This is described as being a passenger in their body rather than the driver.

Dissociative identity disorder and schizophrenia are often thought of as the same disorder but they are not. Schizophrenics are more likely to have hallucinations or hear voices in their head that tells them to do things. They associate more with being delusional while someone suffering from DID is very rational in what they see or do. Multiple personalities are not present in schizophrenics.

Finally four criteria were put in place to diagnose DID by the DSM-IV (American Psychiatric Association’s Diognostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders).

1. Two or more distinct personalities had to be present, each one relating to the environment and self independently.
   2. These two personalities have to take on a recurring role in controlling the person’s behavior.
   3. The patient is enabled in recalling important personal information that is too extensive.
   4. The personalities are not brought on by substance like alcohol or by general medical conditions.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for the disorder. Long term treatment can be very effective if the patient is willing and dedicated to it. This usually includes talking with a psychiatrist, hypnosis, medication, and in some cases art or movement therapy. Antidepressants and anxiety medication can help with some of the side effects especially mood changes.

Footnote:
*WebMD
*Wikipedia

tom

• View Profile
Re: Dissociative Identity Disorder
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:41:29 PM »
must be from experience
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:27:32 PM by mikey »

s

swiftslaughter

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
must be from experience

Do I know you? I think we've probably met before since you're saying that. :)

Yeah, I have experienced it recently. Maybe I should ask Jay to help me elaborate? I'm sure he won't hold back :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:48:49 PM by nick »

havoc

• "awesome is my word" LMAO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »
lol
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:12:51 PM by havoc »
jai

if only i can go back in time.....

s

swiftslaughter

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
i'm only going on what you were trying to say to everyone at mayflower, but i guess when things get tough, some ppl can't step up.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:09:16 PM by nick »

havoc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »
right...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:11:19 PM by havoc »
jai

s

swiftslaughter

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 03:14:42 PM »
you were saying something about johndaniel? did you forget? (jason/paul/quinn/carlo and the mg girls were all there when you were talking about it over dinner.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:16:46 PM by nick »

havoc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 03:15:47 PM »
yea ur right...i have a good guess on who john danial is....but that aint my business....
jai

s

swiftslaughter

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 03:18:03 PM »
wow, you're being PC atm  ;)

havoc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 03:20:38 PM »
pc atm huh ? u need to chill man....frrealz your actin childish...........
jai