Laguna Beach, California

• 176 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Laguna Beach, California
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:13:27 AM »
Laguna Beach is a seaside resort and artist community located in southern Orange County, California, approximately 24 miles (39 km) southeast of the county seat of Santa Ana. Its population was 23,727 at the 2000 census. It is known for having some of the most beautiful beaches in southern California. The city has good hotels, unique shops and restaurants, world famous art galleries and art festivals. Many movies and TV shows have been filmed there.

The community of Laguna Beach is the second oldest city in Southern Orange County -- only San Juan Capistrano is older -- and it exists for one simple reason. The area where Laguna is situated was considered to be so worthless that none of the large ranchos surrounding it cared to claim it during the land grab which ensued after California was wrested away from Mexico.

Settlers arriving after the Civil War found scarce amounts of land available for homesteading, and one such tract, known then simply as "the public lands" was the coastal strip from Laguna Canyon to Three Arch Bay. One family, the Thurstons, claimed the land in Aliso Canyon and during the 1870s built a house about a mile from the beach. Soon a small community, named Arch Beach, had been started just north of there at the mouth of Bluebird Canyon. By the early 1880s most of the land around its small Post Office and general store had been subdivided. At about the time that Orange County separated from Los Angeles County and became independent in 1889, the little community was caught in an economic downturn and failed.

When the economy renewed itself, the decision was made to relocate the town to the mouth of Laguna Canyon. This was possible because a dispute with the Irvine ranch over the public right to traverse Laguna Canyon had been resolved in the courts, allowing an additional means of access to the coast.

By 1900 Laguna Beach was occupied by five families of homesteaders struggling to farm land not well-suited to sustain them. They soon found an additional source of income by renting sections of the beaches to farmers from Tustin, Santa Ana, Fullerton, Riverside, and other inland communities who were eager to escape the summer heat. Thus began the tourist industry which is still a mainstay of the local economy.

In the early 1920s the area was discovered by a group of landscape painters who laid the foundation of the art community which is still thriving to this day. Subsequently, various groups have "discovered" Laguna Beach and added incrementally to the town's diversity. Show business people from Hollywood, retirees, gays, hippies, yuppies, and most lately the very-well-to-do have made Laguna Beach their home and added to the local culture.

The region was originally known to the Spanish as "La Cañada de Las Lagunas" which means "The Canyon of the Small Lakes", in reference to two lakes found near the head of Laguna Canyon. However, in confusion with the word "Lagoon", Laguna Beach was nearly misnamed "Lagoona" by the State of California. While it was still an unincorporated community, the Postmaster, Nicholas Isch, journeyed to Sacramento to rectify the mistake, and the original Spanish spelling was retained.

Laguna Beach was incorporated as a General Law City in 1927 and has experienced a slow but steady population growth since that time.

[ Information above collected by T.C. Gibian from Margaret Isch Hamm, born in Laguna Beach in 1901, and from several books written by early settlers, including "Early Days in Laguna" by Joe Thurston. }

Laguna Beach was the point of origin and base of operations for the Brotherhood of Eternal Love (The Laguna Brotherhood) in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Timothy Leary lived with and guided the Brotherhood, until his arrest for possession of marijuana. Leary was 'busted' by Laguna Beach police officer Neal Purcell on Dec 26, 1968 on Woodland Drive, just East of the intersection with the Roosevelt Drive footpath. [- WA, Aug 2008, Jan 2009]

In 2004, MTV created a reality television show titled Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County, which has aired on MTV for three seasons. The show follows the lives of several young Laguna Beach residents as they finish high school and begin the next chapter of their lives. It had a very successful first two seasons and became the second highest rated MTV show. It made regular teenagers Stephen Colletti, Kristin Cavallari, and Lauren Conrad into celebrities.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:33:36 PM by MsCongeniality »

rogergatal

• Administrator
  • "proud to be an MG security, and i'm watching you"
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
Re: Laguna Beach, California
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 01:26:40 AM »
wow laguna beach, you guys are having fun huh! ;D

with my highschool friend, Michelle :)

with my SFC friends :)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:07:40 AM by mikey »
life is beautiful!

Arlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 01:26:47 AM »
wow..ang galing mo mag model...bagay sayo. :)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:31:02 AM by mikey »

rogergatal

• Administrator
  • "proud to be an MG security, and i'm watching you"
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 01:40:06 AM »

ang sexy ni tzarina..
life is beautiful!

thelai

• yukata!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 04:24:53 AM »
the famous laguna beach resort...

i wanna go there... someday... :)
happy happy!

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:16:43 AM »
as promised, i've seen the pacific ocean and her famous otso-otso,LOL

luckytzarms16

• i miss my lil babygirl. :(
    • View Profile
    • Together
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 08:51:31 AM »
as promised, i've seen the pacific ocean and her famous otso-otso,LOL

hahaha...kaw talaga mikey...lol
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:53:42 AM by mikey »
LOve people and use things,Not Love things and use people:)

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 08:53:15 AM »
hahaha...kaw talaga mikey...lol

conservative ka pala,hehehe

luckytzarms16

• i miss my lil babygirl. :(
    • View Profile
    • Together
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 08:53:18 AM »

eto ang bagong cover ng "Tayong Dalawa"...hahahahaah
LOve people and use things,Not Love things and use people:)