Tall, tanned and young and lovely: the girls from Venezuela

• 2 replies
Tall, tanned and young and lovely: the girls from Venezuela
« on: September 03, 2009, 05:52:55 PM »
Pageants are old-fashioned here but in Venezuela, where girls are trained at a military-style beauty school, they are big business.

by Thomas Walker

He drifted into the room, leant on the bar and reached for a pastry. While waiters in bow-ties served coffee and chardonnay, Osmel Sousa finished off his croissant, surveyed the buzz of journalists and TV executives and gave a knowing smile. The 60-year-old, impeccably dressed, as you might expect from someone who has helped to make beauty a symbol of Venezuelan national pride, looked on as six of his 2008 graduate class sauntered in wearing towering high heels.

The graduates were candidates for this year's Miss Venezuela contest and Sousa, president of the pageant, was their proud headmaster. Last night, the new Miss Venezuela was crowned in an arena of 15,000 fans; the show beamed into millions of homes. This is the biggest event in the Caracas calendar and for the winner, stardom awaits. As Roland Carreño, a Venezuelan pundit, says: “Miss Venezuela has always been a dream factory.”

A few days before the grand final last night I sat in on the showcase preview of the top six “Misses”. Dressed identically in tight blue jeans and tiny black T-shirts, they wore matching white sashes, emblazoned with the name of their home states. There was Miss Portuguesa, a tanned 20-year-old fashion student with dyed blonde hair, and the stunning 19-year-old Miss Bolvar, one of only two darker skinned contestants. Next to them stood the very thin Miss Trujillo, whose striking features, black hair and porcelain complexion made her the critics' favourite for the crown.

The contestants may be eye-catching, but the man behind it all is Sousa. Dainty and softly spoken, with thinning white-blond hair and an endless array of sharp suits and pink pocket handkerchiefs, he has become a national icon by cultivating one of Venezuela's most famous (and renew- able) natural resources: beautiful women.

And Sousa takes his job very seriously; his goal is to nurture the next Miss Universe, and even after 28 years at the helm, Venezuela's Henry Higgins doesn't like to lose. “They are ready to win,” he says of his protégées. “The preparation for Miss Venezuela is akin to that of a top athlete.” So great is Sousa's power that he brushes away talk of politics - “[President] Chávez?” he scoffs. “Who's he?”

In recent years beauty pageants in the UK and the US have become sources of derision; for many, the crass questions and endless swimsuit parades are a throwback from a more sexist age. The YouTube sensation last year - when Miss Teen South Carolina struggled to explain why so many Americans are bad at geography - suggests that this is unlikely to change.

But here Miss Venezuela is the most watched TV programme every year and the glitzy performance last night was the culmination of months of hard work from Sousa and his team. Each year, the selection process begins in March when thousands of women between the ages of 17 and 25 apply to take part; 500 are picked to enter their state beauty competitions. The 60 regional winners are then taken to the Miss Venezuela school in Caracas for two months of intensive training before a casting in July when Sousa and his team select the final 28 who will compete before judges for the Miss Venezuela crown. “In other countries there is no organisation like there is here,” says Sousa. “We have our school where the girls are prepared for this philosophy: to be beauty queens.” The aim, he explains, is “to make them perfect”.

The school is a large pink building at the foot of the Avila mountain in northern Caracas, a block from the Venevision studios - the channel that funds and broadcasts Miss Venezuela. Students from outside the capital are put up in nearby rooms and subjected to gruelling days, often starting at 8am and finishing at 10pm. The lucky few who go on to compete at an international level stay at the school for a year.

An army of more than nine teachers give classes on how to walk in high heels, voice and movement, posing for photographs, etiquette, and the vital interview techniques. The contestants are also taught to apply their make-up - and what can't be hidden by foundation can be rectified in other ways. Plastic surgery in Venezuela is relatively affordable compared with the UK, and breast implants - which can cost as little as £1,300 - are not uncommon among teenage girls desperate to emulate these living Barbies.

Such measures must be taken to create the perfect contestant, admits Sousa, who prefers radical procedures such as liposuction as the simplest way to deal with a contestant's “excess” weight. “If a girl is lazy in going to the gym and has to work on her waistline, I think it's much easier to get it all out in one go,” he says. Nose jobs and “thigh trimmings” are also frequent over the duration of the course, but Sousa's view is that they are “correcting little details”.

The fairytale image of a beautiful girl plucked from a slum and turned into a supermodel is a far cry from the reality of Miss Venezuela. Most hopefuls come from affluent backgrounds, many are university students, or have worked as models.

Jennipher Bortolas, 18, born in San Cristóbal, in the Venezuelan Andes, is better known as Miss Tchira. She entered her first pageant while still at primary school. Now a civil engineering student, she had never left her home state until she was brought to Caracas to attend the academy. She found it very tough at first. “The regime is exactly like a military school, the only difference is we don't have the heavy uniforms,” she says. Ly Jonaitis, 22, won Miss Venezuela two years ago. “The preparation is hard,” she says. “You have to get up early to go to the gym, to speech classes, but I'd definitely do it all again.”

Last week Jonaitis's own variety show began on Venevision, and the channel is shrewd at reaping the rewards of its costly training, often recruiting former contestants for its soap operas and other TV programmes after the competition.

Whatever you think of his methods, Sousa can mould a champion. Since joining the “Miss” team in 1969, Sousa, who was born in Cuba to Spanish parents and moved to Venezuela as a teenager, has had a hand in many successes, including seven Miss World and Miss Universe titles. In July, 22-year-old Dayana Mendoza won Venezuela the Miss Universe title for the first time since 1996.

Beauty pageants take place in schools and towns across the nation and young girls are drawn to the apparent glamour in a country where looks can count for everything. “You aspire to the image of the Misses. They're thin, beautiful, almost perfect,” says Yenniffer Ferreira, 21, a student from Caracas, who had breast implants two years ago. Her friend and classmate Greys Pealoza, 19, is now recovering from rhinoplasty and a breast enlargement operation over her summer holidays.

That Sousa played a part in creating this legend of the South American beauty is unquestionable. And while the surgeon's knife may have also had an important role in the tale, few people here see much wrong with a little help from a scalpel. As Mendoza, Sousa's star pupil of 2007, enjoys her year as the reigning queen of the world's beauty pageants, the man behind it all can be sure that he hasn't lost his touch. As Ferreira puts it, “We have always had gorgeous women, he just showed them to the world.”

JohnDaniel

• don't work out much
    • View Profile
Re: Tall, tanned and young and lovely: the girls from Venezuela
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 08:33:15 AM »
i want one of these girls to be my girlfriend
i train for healthy living

Re: Tall, tanned and young and lovely: the girls from Venezuela
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 03:20:01 AM »
KELLY'S WORLD - Venezuela - beauty queen factory

Miss Venezuela Stefania Fernandez poses after being crowned Miss Universe 2009.

It's becoming increasingly clear to me that Venezuela seems to have this beauty thing down pat. Miss Venezuela won the 2009 Miss Universe pageant in The Bahamas on August 23 and it's almost no surprise when a young woman from that country takes a world crown.

Stefania Fernandez is the sixth senorita from Venezuela to win Miss Universe. This was the first time the same country was winning consecutive titles as well. Throw in the fact that the Venezuelans also have five Miss World titles and you see they know how to pick them. Like football to the Brazilians, bobsleigh to the Nordic countries and sprinting to the Jamaicans, Venezuelans seem to do one thing better than everybody else: produce beauty queens.

Sure, the country has a great history in many other areas from politics to food, all of which is noteworthy and fit to be emulated. But, somehow, when you hear what they accomplish on the Miss World or Miss Universe stage, it never seems to surprise us. The other countries I named all seem to have the particular field of expertise I associate with them down to a science. They study it, see where they went wrong the times they didn't win, go back to the always-useful drawing board and wheel and come again! Venezuela seems to do the same with beauty contests.

What bothers me is that some Jamaicans (women especially) frown whenever a woman of this South American land takes a world title. That is just bad mind, pure and simple. Consider that South America is football crazy and yet Venezuela has never been to the World Cup. Nobody says, "Dem wutless eeh!" But the minute the MC says "and the winner ... is Miss Venezuela", people start to groan and complain. "Again!" they bawl in dismay, maybe even throwing in a few thoughts about the young woman's alleged lack of looks. 

Fact is, beauty contests don't just deal with physical beauty, and because deciding who is beautiful is subjective, you're always going to have somebody, somewhere in the world, disagreeing with the judges' choice. As for Fernandez, she's tall, svelte and pretty (to my eye). Whether she can come up with a cure for AIDS, I don't know, but at least she doesn't sound dunce! From a mere physical perspective, I was rooting for Miss Dominican Republic but so many of these young women caught my eye, my head started to swim. Jamaica's own Carolyn Yapp is cute and all, but the taller women always catch my eye first.

So congrats to Miss Venezuela. Hop off a di girl fenda you haters. As for Jamaica, oh well, after the success in Berlin, guess we can't win everything! The Jamaica Gleaner.