OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Rue McClanahan dies at age 76
« on: June 04, 2010, 06:45:24 AM »
Remembering 'Golden Girl' Rue McClanahan

By Mike Ryan

Rue McClanahan, the youngest of the four "Golden Girls," died Thursday of a stroke at the age of 76.

McClanahan had a storied career on television, first starring as Vivian Cavender Harmon on the groundbreaking show "Maude" with her future "Golden Girls" costar Bea Arthur.

"Maude," a spinoff of "All in the Family," pushed the limits of 1970s primetime programming by addressing issues such as abortion, women's liberation and civil rights. It followed the adventures of an outspoken liberal and her relationship with her fourth husband, Walter, and took place in the New York City suburb of Tuckahoe.

In the early 1980s, McClanahan starred as Fran Crowley in "Mama's Family" — a sitcom based on Vicki Lawrence's popular sketch from "The Carol Burnett Show." She only appeared during one season. However, what made that season notable because of her two on-screen sisters. One was played by Carol Burnett, the other ... Betty White.

Mama's Family (1983) The Wedding - with Carol Burnett 2/6

It almost seemed preordained that McClanahan would once again team up with her two former co-stars for her defining role as sultry Blanche Devereaux on one of the most popular sitcoms of all time, "The Golden Girls." Shockingly, the role that defined McClanahan almost never happened.

She was originally cast as the more scatterbrained and innocent Rose Nylund but McClanahan thought Rose was too similar to her role on "Maude." At the same time, Betty White, who was originally cast as Blanche, thought Blanche was too similar to White's role on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." So they switched.

McClanahan, as Blanche, became iconic for her stories and one-liners based on her plethora of male suitors, her age, or her prowess. Blanche Devereaux was truly the original Samantha Jones from "Sex and the City."

The Golden Girls - The Best of Blanche

With the passing of McClanahan, only one of the original "Golden Girls" is still alive. Bea Arthur died in April of 2009 and Estelle Getty passed away in 2008. Betty White — who just hosted "Saturday Night Live" in May and is the oldest of the four — is the last surviving "Golden Girl."

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Rue McClanahan dies at age 76
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 06:54:53 AM »
Rue is now in heaven with Bea, Estelle, and Herb, and I'm sure they're all enjoying a nice cheesecake, and making God laugh. OMG I miss them so much, and I never saw Rue's death coming. It came as a? big shock to me! I feel so bad for Betty now. She said herself that Rue's death really broke her heart. R.I.P. Rue!!! We love you sooo much!!! Sends hugs to you, Bea, Estelle, and Herb.