Vote Now for CNN Hero of the Year

• 4 replies

zulacs

• "hahaha..lay lingaw!"
    • View Profile
Vote Now for CNN Hero of the Year
« on: October 29, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »
Let's support Efren Penaflorida..founder of the "Dynamic Teen Company"..

Efren Peñaflorida, 28, also was bullied by gangs in high school. Today, he offers Filipino youth an alternative to gang membership through education. Vote now for the CNN Hero of the Year

"Gang members are groomed in the slums as early as 9 years old," says Peñaflorida. "They are all victims of poverty."

For the past 12 years, Peñaflorida and his team of teen volunteers have taught basic reading and writing to children living on the streets. Their main tool: A pushcart classroom.

Stocked with books, pens, tables and chairs, his Dynamic Teen Company recreates a school setting in unconventional locations such as the cemetery and municipal trash dump.

Peñaflorida knows firsthand the adversity faced by these children. Born into a poor family, he lived in a shanty near the city dump site. But he says he refused to allow his circumstances to define his future.

"Instead of being discouraged, I promised myself that I would pursue education," he recalls. "I will strive hard; I will do my best."

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cnn.heroes/vote/
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know.
And you are the one who'll decide where you'll go. "

devildawg

• never a dull moment with this bad boy!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Vote Now for CNN Hero of the Year
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:45:20 PM »
Let's support Efren Penaflorida..founder of the "Dynamic Teen Company"..

Efren Peñaflorida, 28, also was bullied by gangs in high school. Today, he offers Filipino youth an alternative to gang membership through education. Vote now for the CNN Hero of the Year

"Gang members are groomed in the slums as early as 9 years old," says Peñaflorida. "They are all victims of poverty."

For the past 12 years, Peñaflorida and his team of teen volunteers have taught basic reading and writing to children living on the streets. Their main tool: A pushcart classroom.

Stocked with books, pens, tables and chairs, his Dynamic Teen Company recreates a school setting in unconventional locations such as the cemetery and municipal trash dump.

Peñaflorida knows firsthand the adversity faced by these children. Born into a poor family, he lived in a shanty near the city dump site. But he says he refused to allow his circumstances to define his future.

"Instead of being discouraged, I promised myself that I would pursue education," he recalls. "I will strive hard; I will do my best."

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cnn.heroes/vote/

I think he's got the best story amongst the others.  so, I cast my vote for him. ;) :) 8)
"......... anything you say can be and will be used against you.........!" (excerpt from Miranda vs. Arizona, 1966, Fifth Amendment, US Constitution)

zulacs

• "hahaha..lay lingaw!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:19:09 AM »
nag vote ka na?try mo click ung link...hehhee,,
You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know.

devildawg

• never a dull moment with this bad boy!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 12:25:09 AM »
nag vote ka na?try mo click ung link...hehhee,,

yeah, I have............. after reading the stories of all the nominees.  that's why I said, for me, he's got the best story............ but close to the bartender who actually came under fire in sudan.  anyway, your message board is full...........got something to ask privately.  hehehe.  ;) :) 8)
"......... anything you say can be and will be used against you.........!" (excerpt from Miranda vs. Arizona, 1966, Fifth Amendment, US Constitution)

zulacs

• "hahaha..lay lingaw!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 12:38:53 AM »
yeah, I have............. after reading the stories of all the nominees.  that's why I said, for me, he's got the best story............ but close to the bartender who actually came under fire in sudan.  anyway, your message board is full...........got something to ask privately.  hehehe.  ;) :) 8)

ok..i'll try to delete some pm..hehheehe..wait!!