Sharapova beats Venus in exhibition

• 0 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Sharapova beats Venus in exhibition
« on: January 03, 2010, 11:53:12 AM »
HUA HIN, Thailand (AP)—Maria Sharapova outplayed an error-prone Venus Williams to take a 6-3, 6-4 victory in an exhibition match Saturday.

In a warm-up ahead of this month’s Australian Open, Sharapova converted 75 percent of her break points, against just 13 percent by Williams.

Both players appeared in trouble in the basking heat and low sun at this beachside resort, but Williams particularly struggled to keep the ball in play.

Sharapova, the world No. 14, displayed a solid baseline game in putting away Williams in 1 hour, 34 minutes, and recording her first win over the American since 2007.

Sharapova broke Williams three times to take the first set in 49 minutes. The second set was on serve until the final game when Williams missed two forehands to lose the match.

“It’s good to be back. I’m glad to play against Venus in my first match of the year,” the 22-year-old Russian said.

“I still remember when I first came here (in 2005). I was still young and had a great match with Venus,” Sharapova added.

Williams, who is chasing her first Australian Open title, acknowledged she was a little off the pace after the offseason.

“Maria played so well,” Williams said. “I was slow in my first match of the season. It’s good to be here hitting the ball.”

Sharapova won the Australian Open in 2008, but was not able to defend her title last year due to a shoulder injury.