• 0 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Dinara Safina needs help packing due to back pain
« on: January 25, 2010, 12:01:26 AM »
By TANALEE SMITH

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP)—Dinara Safina said her back is in such pain that she won’t be able to pack her own bags to travel to see her doctor in Germany.

The 23-year-old Russian limped off the court in the first set of her fourth-round match at the Australian Open on Sunday when she was trailing fellow Russian Maria Kirilenko 4-5.

Later, after hobbling into her media interview in obvious pain, Safina said she told her coach at 3-2 that she could not move.

“My back again; it suddenly hit me,” Safina said, her eyes welling up. “It was getting worse and worse. I have no idea really how it could happen. It’s really, really terrible.”

She said it felt exactly like the pain that forced her out of the WTA Championships in Doha in October for six weeks of rest. She said at the time that one of the discs in her lower back was starting to fracture, and that she had been bothered by pain for three months.

“I did MRI before I came here, and my bone edema was getting much smaller,” the world No. 2 said. “I just don’t know what happened. It’s shocking.”

Safina said she was even in too much pain to even lie down for treatment on the physiotherapist’s table.

“I cannot make any movement,” she said. “Whatever I try to move, it hurts terribly.”

Her next plan is to see her doctor in Germany, but she is not sure when she’ll feel able to fly.

“I guess I will ask my team to help me to pack my bags, because I really don’t know how to move now,” Safina said.