OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Evgeni Plushenko disses U.S. Olympic rival Evan Lysacek
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
Lysacek not true champion - Plushenko

By Gennady Fyodorov

MOSCOW, Feb 19 (Reuters) - Olympic men’s figure skating gold medallist Evan Lysacek is not a “true champion”, his predecessor and Vancouver runner-up Yevgeny Plushenko has told Russian media.

Plushenko, hoping to become the first man in almost six decades to win back-to-back titles, lost to the American by 1.31 points on Thursday.

“You can’t be considered a true men’s champion without a quad,” the 27-year-old told Russian state television RTR.

Lysacek did not attempt a quadruple jump, considered the most difficult in figure skating, in either Tuesday’s short or Thursday’s free programmes, instead wowing the judges with artistry and exquisite footwork.

“For someone to stand on top of the podium with the gold medal around his neck with just doing triple jumps, to me it’s not progress, it’s a regress because we’ve done triples 10 or even 20 years ago,” Plushenko said.

“Just doing nice transitions and being artistic is not enough because figure skating is a sport, not a show,” he said.

“Of all the men who had competed tonight, only two—myself and (Japan’s) Takahiro Kozuka (who finished eighth)—were able to land a clean quad.

“Later, when I saw Kozuka I shook his hand and congratulated him, saying ‘Well done’. I also have a lot of respect for (Japan’s bronze medallist) Daisuke Takahashi for trying to attempt a quad. That’s a sign of a (future) champion.”

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Evgeni Plushenko disses U.S. Olympic rival Evan Lysacek
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:33:44 AM »
In Plushenko's mind (and website), he's the platinum medal winner

By Maggie Hendricks

Evgeni Plushenko's long, delusional journey continues. Just days after the silver medalist for men's figure skating denied that Evan Lysacek is the true champion of men's figure skating, he has apparently awarded himself a platinum medal. From his official website:

It reads, "Silver of Salt Lake, Gold of Torino, Platinum of Vancouver." What's impressive here is that not only has Plushenko's website team fabricated an Olympic medal, it designed a platinum medal, too. Bravo. That's commitment to a delusion.

Previously, Plushenko ripped gold medalist Evan Lysacek for not attempting a quad jump, and even Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin weighed in on the controversy, saying Plushenko "performed the most accomplished program on the Vancouver ice." Lysacek responded to the criticism with class, but Plushenko clearly hasn't come to grips with the fact that the gold medal eluded him in Vancouver.

Thanks to Andrea at Zap2It.