OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Kim wins Gold in Women's Figure Skating
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:59:42 AM »
High Drama In Figure Skating

By Pritha Sarkar

VANCOUVER, Feb 25 (Reuters) - Yu-Na Kim dissolved into tears after she obliterated the opposition to become the first South Korean to win an Olympic figure skating gold medal, while a grieving Joannie Rochette melted millions of hearts with a display of sheer courage.

The 19-year-old, already hailed as Queen Yuna by her legion of admirers, had hollering fans rushing down the aisles after she was crowned Vancouver Games champion with a record combined total of 228.56. She won with a huge margin of 23.06 points.

“This was the first time I cried after an event. I didn’t know why but I was so happy,” said Kim, already one of the top earning Olympians after banking more than $8 million in 2009.

“I still cannot believe that I received those scores, it’s almost as close as the men’s score,” added Kim, whose score would have placed her ninth in the men’s event.

Japanese rival Mao Asada soared high into the air to become the only woman to land two triple Axels at the Pacific Coliseum on Thursday but could not match the technical wizardry, artistry or poise of Kim and settled for silver with 205.5.

Rochette had Canadians and fans all over the world cheering for her after delivering a display full of grace, beauty and guts to earn the bronze just four days after her mother’s death.

“I do not see myself as a hero. When I stepped on to the ice I knew I had to be as cold as possible,” said the Canadian, who bit her lip and blinked back tears during the medal ceremony.

“It was almost like a relief going on the ice. I needed to be in a state of mind where I was Joannie the athlete and not Joannie the person. I was shaking but I knew that I would leave everything on that ice.

“I stepped on the ice and my legs were shaking. My mum was there with me for every step … giving me strength.”

In Kim’s case, she had 50 million South Koreans following her every move—and on Thursday she handed her nation their first Winter Games title outside short track and speed skating.

Her Canadian coach Brian Orser had declared last week that being with Kim was “like travelling around with Princess Diana. She needs bodyguards where ever she goes.”

GLOBAL POPULARITY

Chances are that after Thursday, Kim will have to hire dozens more bodyguards as her global popularity will no doubt soar following her incredible exhibition in Canada.

Born 20 days apart, Kim and Asada have been rivals since the moment they first laced up their skates and for the second time in three days, the two teenagers brought traffic to a standstill in South Korea and Japan.

But it was Kim who showed nerves of steel from the moment she landed her opening triple Lutz-triple toeloop combination.

Wearing an electric blue halter-neck dress, she took to the ice after doing the sign of the cross and almost appeared to be floating on water as she beautifully executed every one of her 11 jumps to the haunting backdrop of Gershwin’s Concerto in F.

While roaring fans saluted her performance by proclaiming “Long live Queen Yuna”, the Korean started shaking with emotion and with tears running down her cheeks, she covered her face.

The dozens of white teddy bears that started to rain down on the ice bore testament to the performance she had just delivered and the judges wasted little time in posting their verdict—a record 150.06 points for the long programme.

Asada had been on the ice to hear the frenzied commotion greet Kim’s score and the pressure got to her as she stumbled on her triple flip-double toeloop combination. Her glum face at the end of the programme told its own story.

“Because there was so much noise I was not able to hear her score but I realised she must have had a very good score to get that type of reaction,” said Asada.

Rochette, 24, knew no matter what she did, this would be a night she would never forget.

Although she had a few wobbles in her four-minute routine, as far as the crowd was concerned—her performance under such emotional stress was worth pure gold. She scored 202.64.

She ended her Samson and Delilah routine by blowing a kiss skywards and while she was all smiles as she took her bow, she finally broke down backstage while speaking to reporters.

“With all that had happened I did not have enough strength out there. I had no more inside me but my mom was lifting me up,” said a teary-eyed Rochette, an only child who was seen mouthing the words “Salut mama” in the kiss and cry booth.

“There were moments (in the past days) I just wanted to go home and be with my family, take care of my dad.”
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:23:36 AM by mikey_gatal »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Kim wins Gold in Women's Figure Skating
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:18:25 AM »
Kim Yu-na wins gold with record score

By NANCY ARMOUR

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP)—All that pressure, all those expectations. Kim Yu-na could feel the weight on her dainty shoulders.

The “Queen” took it all on and delivered royally.

A gold medal.

A world record.

A women’s figure skating performance that likely will be remembered as one of the best of all time.

The South Korean soared to the Olympic gold medal Thursday night, scoring 228.56 points and shattering her previous world record by more than 18 points. It is South Korea’s first medal at the Winter Olympics in a sport other than speedskating, and it’s sure to set off wild celebrations from Seoul to Pyongchang.

Even Kim seemed to be dazzled by the show she put on, gasping when she saw the monstrous score. Coach Brian Orser gave a Rocky-like victory pump, shaking his clasped fists over each shoulder.

“I still can’t believe it,” Kim said. “I waited a long time for the Olympics, and it feels like a large weight has been lifted off.”

The 19-year-old grinned as she hopped up to the top spot on the podium, tugging at the bottom of her dress. When the gold medal was slipped over her head, she kissed both sides and held it up. Her lip quivered when the South Korean anthem began, and then came the tears.

She made a beeline for someone holding the South Korean flag as she set off on her victory lap, and carried it triumphantly as fans serenaded her with cheers and applause.

“Truly I still can’t believe that I did what I wanted to do at the Olympics,” she said.

Longtime rival Mao Asada of Japan won the silver medal, but it was no contest—even with Asada landing both her triple axels, one in combination with a double toe loop. Asada was more than 23 points behind Kim, a margin so big Kim could have done nothing but figure 8s for the last half of her program and still finished in front.

In fact, Kim’s score was so off the charts, it would have put her ninth in the men’s competition—even though they skate 30 seconds longer and do an extra jump.

“It’s one of those programs that, when it’s done like that, when it’s perfection …” Orser said, his voice trailing off.
(L-R) Mao Asada of Japan receives the silver medal, Kim Yu-Na of South Korea receives the gold medal and Joannie Rochette of Canada receives the bronze medal during the medal ceremony for the ladies free skating on Thursday.
(Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

Joannie Rochette, skating four days after the sudden death of her mother, won the bronze, giving Canada its first women’s medal since Liz Manley’s silver in 1988.

“I had to be out there as Joannie the athlete and not the person,” she said. “It’s not easy at some points. There’s always some moments when emotions take over. But I really tried to be strong to make my mother proud and my father, who was in the stands.”

The Americans, meanwhile, are going home without at least one medal for only the second time since 1952. The other time was 1964, three years after a plane crash wiped out the entire U.S. team on its way to the world championships.

But there is hope on the horizon with 16-year-old Mirai Nagasu finishing fourth. U.S. champion Rachael Flatt dropped two spots from the short program and was seventh.

Kim came in bearing almost incomprehensible pressure. Not only was the reigning world champ the biggest favorite since Katarina Witt in 1988—she’s lost just one competition during the last two seasons—she carried the weight of an entire nation. Maybe her sport, too.

The most popular athlete in South Korea, she’s been dubbed “Queen Yu-na”— check out the sparkly crowns that twinkle in her ears—and she needs bodyguards whenever she returns home from her training base in Toronto. Anything she does creates a frenzy, and even a simple practice draws a rinkful of photographers.

Figure skating is also counting on her to bring back the sass and star power that has traditionally made the women the must-see event of the Olympics. Think of some of the greatest Winter Olympians ever and Dorothy, Peggy and Michelle— no last names needed for die-hard fans—immediately come to mind. But the sport has lost some serious luster since Michelle Kwan stopped skating.

Kim seemed to shrug off any jitters earlier this week, saying after the short program that it felt like any other competition. But it was clear Thursday that it meant so much more—for her and Orser, a two-time Olympic silver medalist who was devastated when he lost to Brian Boitano at the 1988 Calgary Games.

“It’s more gratifying,” Orser said. “(But) it’s definitely her medal. She’s a champion.”

There were simply no visible flaws in Kim’s performance, from her skating to her expressions to that lovely cobalt blue dress. While other skaters slow down as they approach their jumps to steady themselves, she hurtles into them at full speed yet touches down with feathery lightness. Her connecting steps are like art on ice, and her edges show not even the slightest hint of a harsh scrape. Her spins were centered so perfectly the tracings looked as if they were made with a protractor, and she must be quadruple-jointed to pull off all those positions in her combination spins.

What really makes her transcendent, though, is her performance skills. She breathed life into Gershwin’s “Concerto in F,” moving across the ice like notes on a score. As the music lifted the first time, she put one hand on the small of her back and gave a flirty little smile that set shutters clicking throughout the building.

When she finished, you could almost see the pressure fall away as Kim bent over and cried. So many stuffed toys and flowers littered the ice the full complement of sweepers had to be deployed—not once, but twice.

“It’s not any time to hold back. It’s not a time to be conservative or cautious. Be Olympic,” Orser said. “We’ve talked about that, coming here. You’ve got to be Olympic. You’ve got to be a competitor. Yes, you’re beautiful. Yes, the programs are beautiful. Beautiful lines. Great presentation and choreography.

“But you’ve got to be Olympic and you’ve got to be fierce. And she was.”

It almost wasn’t fair that Asada, skating next, had to try and one-up that.

She couldn’t. Not even close.

“Because there was so much noise from the crowd, I was not able to hear her score,” Asada said. “But judging from the loud reaction, I knew she must have had a great performance.”

Asada, who has swapped titles with Kim since their junior days, is one of the few women who even tries a points-packing triple axel, and she did two on this night. But she melted down later, stumbling on the footwork into her triple toe and forcing her to cut it to a single. She did only four clean triple jumps, two fewer than Kim, and did not do either a triple lutz or a triple toe.

Asada looked stone-faced as she waited for her marks. She didn’t even crack a smile when she got her silver medal.

“The triple axel I landed I’m happy with,” Asada said, “but I’m not satisfied with the rest of my performance today.”

For Rochette, the medal is a culmination of “a lifelong project with my mom.” Therese Rochette, 55, had a massive heart attack just hours after arriving in Vancouver to watch her daughter skate, and Rochette has been the picture of courage this week.

Supported by her father, Normand, and longtime coach Manon Perron, Rochette decided to go ahead and compete. Her performance Thursday wasn’t perfect; she two-footed and stepped out of a triple flip, and had shaky landings on a couple of other jumps. But she made up for those errors with an emotional and expressive portrayal of “Samson and Delilah.”

When she finished, Rochette blew a kiss skyward.

prncess_victoria

• "salsa queen"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 07:10:11 AM »
Kim Yu-na wins gold with so much class
"I'm VICTORIA, the best and the most glamorous among the SPICE GIRLS"!

marivic

• The right man is the one who seizes the moment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:22:54 AM »
Figure Skating Gala Show in South Korea Arena where Kim Yu-Na performed to a full packed crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--1pIN49G7M&feature=related

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:31:57 AM by mikey_gatal »
"When you expect nothing and get everything, that's destiny" .(,")

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:29:15 AM »
thanks for sharing the video marivic , kim yu-na is a rockstar in figure skating in South Korea.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:37:19 PM by mikey_gatal »

marivic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:33:42 AM »
thanks for sharing the video marivi , kim yu-na is a rockstar in figure skating in south Korea.

i like her and she is a graceful dancer on ice, she reminds me of sandara park  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:32:38 PM by mikey_gatal »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »
i like her and she is a graceful dancer on ice, she reminds me of sandara park  ;D ;D ;D

what's the name of Sanda Park's girl band?

marivic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:36:37 PM »
what's the name of Sanda Park's girl band?

the name of her band is 2ne1 mike
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:38:16 PM by mikey_gatal »

marivic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 09:38:15 PM »
mike, please watch their music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUyYA2MIXRQ
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:39:15 PM by mikey_gatal »