• 1 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Ohno disqualified, Canada's Hamelin wins gold
« on: February 26, 2010, 08:33:58 PM »
By Maggie Hendricks

Apolo Anton Ohno lost out on his bid for his eighth Olympic medal, getting disqualified in the final of the 500 m short track speedskate. Canadian Charles Hamelin won the gold, followed by South Korean Si-Bak Sung with silver, and Francois-Louis Tremblay taking the bronze.

Ohno was in fourth for much of the race, and as he neared the final lap, he put his hand on Tremblay's hip. Tremblay went flying and took Sung with him. Hamelin maintained his lead, and Ohno quickly skated over the line, keeping his hope alive for silver,

Unfortunately for Ohno, the judges quickly made the call to disqualify him. In short-track speedskating, winners and losers are often decided by falls and judges decisions. This has benefited Ohno in the past. He has to shake this off quickly as he is scheduled to participate in the relay event on Friday evening.

This is a redemption for Hamelin and Tremblay. They were expected to do well for the host country in short track, but the men had not done well until tonight. Hamelin's gold medal ties Canada with Germany atop the gold medal race with nine. The U.S. leads the overall medal race with 33. 

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Ohno disqualified, Canada's Hamelin wins gold
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:36:32 PM »
I don't get why Sung gets silver. I don't think an official from the same country should make the decision, either. I don't understand why the other night when J.R. Celski got disqualified, the Canadian who fell got to advance even though he wasn't in a qualifying position, which is supposed to be the only reason they're supposed to be advanced. That same Canadian then went on to push Apolo Ohno and cost him the gold. I didn't see HIM get disqualified. These calls have been all over the place this Olympics. I also don't agree that the South Korean women's team should have been disqualified the other night.