OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Strong wind scores an incredible own goal
« on: March 03, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »
By Brooks Peck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYJttBJq6lw&feature=player_embedded

Hapless footballers are always finding new ways to score on their own team, but this might be the first time overpowering winds are to blame for redirecting the ball and notching an own goal.

In the second half of a real match between German lower division sides TSV Wimsheim and TSV Grunbach last Sunday, a Grunbach player attempted to launch a booming kick against the intense winds only to have the ball hang in the sky and come right back the way it came, bounce high over the goalkeeper's head and into the net, giving Wimsheim a 1-0 lead.

Wimsheim would go on to win 2-1, but if you're Grunbach, I think you just have to accept that the universe was against you that day and move on. Or consider that Newton's Laws of Motion weren't a joke. 

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Strong wind scores an incredible own goal
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:06:53 PM »
here are some comments:

That goal should not have counted.
Assuming it was a goal kick, the Laws of the Game say "a goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing team." If it was a direct free kick, the Laws of the Game say "if a direct free kick is kicked directly into the team's own goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opposing team."
Either way, that goal should not stand. Restart should be a corner kick since the ball left the penalty area and was thus in play. Had the wind turned it back before it left the area, it would be a re-kick.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Strong wind scores an incredible own goal
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 03:07:25 PM »
this is quite the hit .. probably should count. the ball left the penalty area and is in play once it leaves that area. no one needs to touch the ball for a goal to be scored at this point. if it goes into his own net there would be no reason to restart with a corner kick because it a goal kick is not a direct free kick. it is an indirect kick and technically play has not restarted until it leaves the penalty area.
so in this case an indirect restart takes place. the ball leaves the goal area thus play has restarted. the ball then travels backwards and off a bounce into the defenders goal. it cannot restart with a corner because the ball has left the penalty area and cannot retake the kick because there was no infraction with play restarting. as strange and unpredictable of a goal as this is i do believe if i were the ref i would allow it too. only grey area that could lead to a corner is if the ball had to be touched by another player and not just leave the penalty area for the goal to count