• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Miss Venezuela 2000 - Eva Ekvall
« on: March 08, 2010, 07:11:22 PM »
shared by husam abedaker

Miss Venezuela 2000

ENTREVISTA / Eva Ekvall "Tengo demasiadas cosas por qué vivir"

Eva Ekvall ha encontrado en su hija la fuerzas para luchar contra el cáncer (Cortesía)

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Miss Venezuela 2000 - Eva Ekvall
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:11:46 PM »
"Quiero hablarlo lo más posible, concientizar a la gente que se tiene que hacer sus chequeos"

Roberto Rodríguez M.
EL UNIVERSAL

Eva Ekvall nunca olvidará la fecha del 12 de febrero de este año. Ese día, la ex Miss Venezuela del año 2000 recibió la noticia de que tenía cáncer de mama. Con apenas 26 años y una hija de escasos meses, Eva vio su vida cambiar ante sus propios ojos. "Fue deprimente al principio, me pasaron muchas cosas por la cabeza. Pensé 'me voy a morir, me voy a despedir de mi gente'", confesó.

La hoy ancla del noticiero del Canal i enfrentó su diagnóstico tras acudir al médico debido a unos bultos en uno de sus senos. "No le presté atención durante el embarazo porque pensé que era otro síntoma más de las muchas cosas que uno siente". Tras el parto y la permanencia de las protuberancias, Eva decidió volver a la consulta y fue allí que se enteró de la verdad. "Me hicieron una biopsia y resultó ser cáncer", explicó.

Desde ese momento su cotidianidad no es la misma. "Cuando me dieron la noticia cometí el error de meterme en Internet y leer muchas cosas. Tenía tanta información, dudas y preguntas que sentía que había pasado un año", dijo.

Armada de información fue de nuevo al médico y se determinó la manera para combatir el cáncer. "Ya empecé el tratamiento de quimioterapia hace una semana. Son varias sesiones preoperatorias, luego me operan y sigo con quimio y radioterapia", adelantó. El plan no está del todo trazado, pues hay que esperar para saber cómo evolucionan las cosas. "La operación no tiene fecha, todo depende de cómo se comporte el tumor", indicó.

Aunque esta noticia le cayó por sorpresa, lo cierto es que era una realidad con la que Eva convivía ya desde hacía tiempo. "Yo tengo antecedentes familiares y siempre supe que esto un día me podía pasar, pero los médicos me decían que no tenía que hacerme una mamografía porque era muy joven", apuntó.

Parte importante de poder enfrentar esta situación ha sido perder el miedo, según explica Eva. "Cáncer es una palabra muy fea. Ya he aprendido a manejarla como lo que es, no digo 'lo que tengo', ni 'la cosa', ni 'la condición', lo que tengo es cáncer y no hay vueltas que dar".

Con esto claro, Eva se siente más cómoda en cuanto a los pasos que tiene que dar para su recuperación total. "Ahora todo se trata de sobrevivir, cuando se tiene cáncer la vida se trata de eso".

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 05:00:41 AM »
Miss Venezuela 2000

Entrevista a EVA EKVALL
en la Revista Look Caras

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 11:21:15 PM »
May she rest in peace.

Cancer is the most dangerous ill.

Here in our home 2 of my relatives have breast cancer.

2 of our neighbors has it too, sadly the other one died.

Ugh! We should really take care of ourselves and monitor the food we eat.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 11:24:26 PM »
R.I.P. Eva, died of breast cancer. . hopefully someone finds the cure one of these days.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 11:35:19 PM »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 12:14:55 AM »

My deepest condolences.

It's sad that even though cancer treatments and prevention are in very high level nowadays, still young people like her lose the fight against the decease.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:15:28 AM by thatsmyboy1992 »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 08:23:41 AM »
Eva Mónica Anna Ekvall Johnson (born March 15, 1983 in Caracas, Venezuela – December 17, 2011) was a TV hostess known for her various TV shows with Televen, specially in the show Las Rottenmayer. She was a finalist in the Miss Universe 2001 contest. Eva had a degree in communications from Universida.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 09:28:24 AM »
Former Miss Venezuela dies of breast cancer at 28
By IAN JAMES

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Former Miss Venezuela Eva Ekvall, whose struggle with breast cancer was closely followed by Venezuelans, has died at age 28.

Her family said Ekvall died Saturday at a hospital in Houston.

Ekvall was crowned Miss Venezuela at age 17 in 2000, and the following year she was third runner-up in the Miss Universe pageant in Puerto Rico. She went on to work as a model, actress and television news anchor.

She also authored a book, "Fuera de Foco" ("Out of Focus"), about her struggle with cancer, which included images by Venezuelan photographer Roberto Mata.

She told the newspaper El Nacional in an interview last year after the book was published that "I needed to send the message of the need for cancer prevention."

On the cover was a portrait in which she appeared with makeup and her head shaved. The book also included images of her while going through chemotherapy.

"I hate to see photos in which I come out ugly," Ekvall told El Nacional. "But you know what? Nobody ever said cancer is pretty or that I should look like Miss Venezuela when I have cancer."

At the time, she was hopeful of overcoming cancer and wanted to write more.

Ekvall's family said in a statement Sunday that her remains were being cremated in Houston on Monday and that a service is to be held in Venezuela once her remains are returned to the country.

Ekvall said in a 2007 interview published in Venezuelan news media that although her mother is Jamaican and her father is American of Swedish and Hungarian descent, "I feel more Venezuelan than anybody."

She was married to radio producer John Fabio Bermudez and had a 2-year-old daughter.

In her book, Ekvall had described her joy at the birth of her daughter saying "that happiness, although (the daughter) may not know it or understand it, keeps me alive today."

The book included emails that she wrote to friends providing updates on her treatment and thanking them for their support, as well as short essays by relatives and friends reflecting on her ordeal.

Her father, Eric Ekvall, recalled in the book that his mother, also named Eva, had died of the same type of cancer at age 39.

"Those who know Eva know she doesn't give up," he said of his daughter. "She fights for what she wants."

Her death brought an outpouring of condolences from Venezuelans, including from some prominent artists and politicians who praised her in messages on Twitter.

One drawing posted online depicted her as an angel with white wings and a pink ribbon on her chest.

Ekvall's husband posted a photo on Twitter Sunday showing a close-up of his hand holding hers, resting on a bed, with the words "Always together ... I love you wife."