• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Filipino Food Experience
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:15:04 AM »
Filipino Food Section LA Times 2-25-10

shared by Tunde and Bill

Dear Friends and Family,

I have been meaning to send all of you this link, with the warmest of  greetings.

It's the LA Times Food Section dated 2-25-10. The entire Food section was all about Filipino food, and has some great recipes in addition to the  articles. They mention the Oinkster in Eagle Rock. Bill and I have been there and let me tell you, the Ube shakes ARE that good! We have so many  wonderful restaurants here in LA and who would have guessed that many of these talented chefs are Filipino heritage?

Yet none of us should be surprised, based on our own family history. I couldn't help but remember Uncle Johnny, who cooked for a Hungarian-Jewish family in the 1930's that owned the restaurant concession at Santa Anita Racetrack....who also cooked at Susie's Restaurant in the 1940's (their restaurant in downtown LA) at the Yorkshire Grill in the 1960's (also downtown) at Tommy's in the 1970's, at our Hungarian church for so many years (Hungarian food, no less) and so on. I also thought of Uncle Mariano at the Cheerio for decades, and how Tata's sweet rice was/is like no other. I STILL crave that sweet rice, which he made for me for my 14th b-day as my
 special birthday cake. The chef mantle has now been passed on to Hilarion, who I know makes all of us proud! I tell everyone I know that our family gatherings have the best food - Filipino, Hungarian, Mexican, you name it we cook it - hands down!

I hope all of you enjoy the article as much as I did and recall all the wonderful family meals we have enjoyed together, recently and also back in the day. Food connects in ways that are wholly unique - sight, smell, taste, memory. Please raise your glass the next time you can and silently toast all those who came before us, taught us all we know and left us with so much to cherish.

Hoping all is well with you, that you are enjoying another one of God's beautiful seasons and that God is continuing to bless your lives. Thinking of you, remembering family, sending our love.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/25/food/la-fo-filipino25-20100225

Tunde and Bill