• 36 replies

rogergatal

• Administrator
  • "proud to be an MG security, and i'm watching you"
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
"Clash" Leads '80s Movies Remake Rampage
« on: April 02, 2010, 06:37:51 AM »
CLASH OF THE TITANS (Original: 1981/ Remake: 2010)

The original "Clash of the Titans" was for a while there the gold standard of sword and sandal fantasy flicks. It featured the creme de la creme of the British acting world like Laurence Olivier and Maggie Smith playing Greek gods in a Mount Olympus that looked vaguely like a discotheque. It featured future "LA Law" star Harry Hamlin as Perseus in a mop top. (Random trivia: Hamlin's then-girlfriend Ursula Andress played Aphrodite.) And it featured some endearingly cheesy stop-motion animation by Ray Harryhausen.

The remake, which opens this weekend, is all the way around a leaner and meaner affair. Sam Worthington from "Avatar" plays a Perseus shorn of his luscious locks. Mount Olympus looks more like something out of "300" than Studio 54. And while this new flick keeps many of the creatures from the original -- Medusa, the Kraken, even Athena's robotic owl -- they've been digitally updated in a way that won't make you giggle.
life is beautiful!

Janet

• My Sexy Back
    • View Profile
Re: "Clash" Leads '80s Movies Remake Rampage
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 08:10:14 AM »
shosh ko po i still remember when the original clash of the titans movie released in 1981 starring harry hamlin as perseus. at that time para bang bongga ang mga camera tricks at mga giant creatures. pero juice ko! kung i compare mo sa standard ngayon at sa clarity ang chaka pala ng original. but it still nice to watch old movies.
Please Visit My Beauty With A Purpose Website

www.janet.jamcee.com

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:01:29 AM »
The Clash of the Titans, i loved that movie.

rogergatal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 04:38:21 PM »
The Clash of the Titans, i loved that movie.
same here, infact opening na tomorrow and check it out, its 3D bro!
life is beautiful!

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 04:47:08 PM »
same here, infact opening na tomorrow and check it out, its 3D bro!

this is totally new or just a remake made into 3d?

rogergatal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 04:56:13 PM »
this is totally new or just a remake made into 3d?
hehehe its  a definite remake ;D lead stars- sam worthingtam, liam neeson and a lot more..
life is beautiful!

rogergatal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
check out the trailer of clash of the titans..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6CJenNMsb4&feature=fvst
life is beautiful!

rogergatal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 01:17:15 AM »
Critics Clash Over Value of 3D 'Titans'
by Mike Ryan · April 2, 2010

Critics are mixed about the value of the updated "Clash of the Titans" as a film. But they overwhelmingly agree about the value of its 3D effects. In a word: Lousy.

The LA Times notes: "It's doubtful that records are kept about this sort of thing, but consider the possibility that 'Clash of the Titans' is the first film to actually be made worse by being in 3D."

Joe Morgenstern of The Wall Street Journal adds, "A few more 3D spectacles like 'Clash of the Titans' and audiences will be clamoring for 2D."

The Chicago Sun-Times' Roger Ebert, who gave the film a positive three out of four stars, has a piece of advice for moviegoers this weekend. "Explain to kids that the movie was not filmed in 3D and is only being shown in 3D in order to charge you an extra $5 a ticket. I saw it in 2D, and let me tell you, it looked terrific."

"Clash of the Titans" -- a remake of a cult-favorite film that was released in 1981 -- was originally not envisioned as a 3D film. But then James Cameron's "Avatar," which also starred Sam Worthington, set box-office records worldwide. The success was based in part on its 3D effects, and Warner Bros. announced the already-completed "Clash of the Titans" would be converted to 3D. "Avatar," however, was filmed using special 3D cameras.

The studio was hoping that the "up-conversion" (as the post-shooting technique is known) could match the magic (and box-office cash) that was captured by "Avatar." But as far as it's 3D's concerned, it seems to have failed. Time will tell about the box office.

James Cameron, director of "Avatar," weighed in on the 3D debate -- and specifically in regard to "Clash of the Titans" -- in an interview with USA Today.

When asked about films that are up-converted, as opposed to shot specifically for 3D, Cameron said, "It's never going to be as good as if you shot it in 3D, but think of it as sort of 2.8D."

Even with up-converting, Cameron saying that it would be considered "2.8D" assumes that the proper time was taken for the convergence. When asked specifically about "Clash of the Titans," Cameron said, "They're converting 'Clash of the Titans' in eight weeks. But I'm guessing six months to a year to do it right."

Slate spoke to Phil Lelyveld, director of Consumer 3D Experience Lab, about what the effects of a lackluster 3D experience could mean to the future of 3D. Lelyveld was tentative in his response. "It's a new art form," he said. "We don't want to kill it before we figure out how to use it."

But, the power of the purse may have the ultimate say in whether 3D ever reaches its full cinematic potential. Theaters raised ticket prices for 3D films 8% last weekend, and if consumers feel like they are getting an inferior product at inflated prices, there could well be a backlash spelling the end of the 3D boom.

Future worries and bad reviews aside, "Clash of the Titans" is still expected to do very well.

3D or no 3D, this is still "Clash of the Titans" we're talking about. Prognosticators are predicting a fairly strong $60-$70 million gross at the box office over the weekend. The film may be fueled by being the first big effects-laden action film of the season, with a built-in fan base from the original film and competing against what could be described as strict counter-programming. "Clash" will clash this weekend against the Miley Cyrus vehicle "The Last Song" and Tyler Perry's "Why Did I Get Married Too?" It's a far cry from the original "Clash of the Titans," which was released on June 12, 1981 -- the same date as a film called "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
life is beautiful!

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 11:52:47 AM »
lousy review?

DonFormilleza

• Global Moderator
  • i love you all..
    • View Profile