Melzer’s French Open dream goes on

• 0 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Melzer’s French Open dream goes on
« on: May 31, 2010, 11:08:10 AM »
PARIS, May 31 (Reuters) - Jurgen Melzer’s French Open dream continued on Monday when the Austrian reached the quarter-finals of the claycourt grand slam with a 7-6 4-6 6-1 6-4 win over Russian qualifier Teimuraz Gabashvili.

The 22nd-seeded Melzer, the first Austrian to reach the last eight in Paris since Thomas Muster in 1998, proved more consistent on another gloomy morning to prevail after two hours and 54 minutes.

Gabashvili missed three set points in the opener as he dropped his first set of the tournament but levelled the match with some eye-catching winners.

Melzer, making his first appearance in a grand slam last 16, then took command, cantering through the third set before breaking serve decisively in the ninth game of the fourth.

Melzer, at 29 the oldest player remaining in the men’s draw, will next face world number three Novak Djokovic for a place in the semi-finals.

A player who likes to go to the net, Melzer could not be more different than Austrian idol Thomas Muster, who won the French Open in 1995 but never made it past the first round at Wimbledon.

“Playing wise, I mean, we are like day and night, so of course I was not imitating his style, because I just have a different game,” Melzer told reporters.

“But still, as an athlete, he was an idol. I mean, growing up playing tennis you have a No. 1 in the world in your country. If that’s not your idol, something is wrong with you.”

(Editing by Miles Evans; To query or comment on this story email [email protected])