OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Girlfriend blamed for Spanish goalie's lapse
« on: June 17, 2010, 01:40:03 PM »
English media sparks 'controversy' over Casillas' reporter WAG

By Brooks Peck

Certain English tabloids jumped at the chance to blame the goof-up by their country's goalkeeper, Robert Green, on his love life, so to keep that salacious paper-selling trend going, they're jumping at the chance to spread blame for Spain's shocking loss to Switzerland on goalkeeper Iker Casillas' WAG and match reporter, Sara Carbonero (right).

According to English media outlets from the Guardian to the BBC, mysteriously unnamed Spaniards are blaming Carbonero - who was named the "sexiest reporter in the world" by FHM - for distracting Casillas during the match. And what evidence do the have? Well, she reported from right behind his position in goal before the match and interviewed him straight after the loss. This somehow proves the thought of her overwhelmed him to the point of allowing the losing goal, possibly while seeing tiny hearts bubble up right before his eyes.

In that post-match interview, she asked her boyfriend "how did you muck that up?" in reference to the sloppy-yet-decisive goal. Casillas responded by saying:

"I don't know what to say. I don't know if this defeat will have consequences. The dressing room is fed up." 

The whole thing looked like a normal, forgettable post-match interview outside of the odd coincidence of the couple being romantically involved (they met at the Confederations Cup last summer). But somehow her presence has been turned into bizarre whispers of blame.

When asked about her possible mind-controlling powers over one of the world's best goalkeepers, Carbonero brushed it off:

"Can I destabilize the team? I think it is nonsense."

But that kind of rational dismissal hasn't stopped the English press from running with stories of Spanish hatred for her even though, you know, there really isn't any. Major Spanish sports site AS.com pins the controversy entirely on "English sensationalism" and Publico.es echos that sentiment by saying it's the English who are blaming Carbonero.

At this rate, anyone who is or ever has been romantically involved with a World Cup goalkeeper should brace for their turn at being absurdly associated with blame for whatever happens on the pitch.

Just don't expect equal praise for exceptional performances. 

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Girlfriend blamed for Spanish goalie's lapse
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 01:41:29 PM »
If I was Casillas in a fairly new relationship with Carbonero, I don't think I would have enough strength left in my body to block goals. However the real Casillas is a professional, and I am sure the reason he didn't block goals is not because of his sex life but because of his limitations as a goalie. He may be one of the best, but even the best have their limits.