• 1 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
4 Tips to Quell Any Craving
« on: April 21, 2008, 10:43:54 PM »
By Lucy Danziger, SELF Editor-in-Chief

Everyone has that one food they can’t get off their mind. For me, it usually involves chocolate (or chocolate chips!). Whatever you have a hankering for, there are ways to avoid giving in to temptation. Here are a few strategies you can try today:

Eat what you love. Outlawing a food makes you more likely to want it. Don’t declare all foods off-limits—just keep portions reasonable. Eat just one cookie (or if they’re tiny—two, max.) Or one scoop is fine—but not three! Just tell yourself, “it’s OK” and not “I’ve blown it, might as well keep eating.” One scoop is easy to walk off—three is a major sweat session!

Redirect your appetite. Replacing one mental image with another will help curb the munchies, says Lisa Dorfman, R.D., of Miami. One fast way to distract your brain is with scent. Catching a whiff of peppermint or eucalyptus stimulates thoughts of being light and healthy, so pop a sugar-free mint, smooth on a scented lotion or light a fragrant candle.

Engage your brain. Read a great book, write in a journal or even play a game such as solitaire or Minesweeper on your cell phone or computer to increase activity in the same areas of your brain that light up when you think about eating, so you can take your mind off food.

Make a deal with yourself. I try to keep my treats portion controlled and have them just once a day. If I have a cookie after lunch, I skip dessert after dinner. It makes it easier to give up my evening bowl of ice cream when I know I can have it tomorrow!

Re: 4 Tips to Quell Any Craving
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:46:53 PM »
i like this word Make a deal with yourself.